Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Great Fender Custom Shop Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, May 3, 2003.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Just got this '64 Relic from a very nice cat on the FDP named Chris Brusa.

I've been going back to my fours more and more these days, especially for my classic rock gigs. Anybody who thinks Fender can't make a great bass obviously hasn't gigged with one of these Custom Shop instruments. Hard to imagine a better sounding or playing Jazz! Man, this thing growls and rocks with the best of 'em.

I own several pre-CBS Fenders but this recent Custom Shop bass is as good as any J I've ever owned or played! Sweet, you bet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very nice. I almost got one on a trade a while back from a guy in Fla. for my Spector but he backed out. :(

Congrats.

3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i agree,its refreshing to see a real bass get some props instead of all those fancy smanshy new age basses(no offense to them if thats what you like:D )but to me nothing says bass except a fender(except for a fender japan) siya'nara?

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    That is sweet, it realy does have a vintage vibe to it.

BTW, did it come with the bridge cover, or is that part of the vintage look?

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Oh yeah, these things come with both covers, p/u and bridge and the bridge cover even has the foam strip for muting on the underside. Pretty amazing attention to detail, really. But the most amazing thing about it is not how it looks but how it sounds and plays. Awesome.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What's the back of the neck like? My brother has a Fender CS Relic Nocaster, and the finish is completely gone from there... the maple is dark with faux grunge, and the feel is like buttah. Not everyone likes that totally broken-in vibe, though.

7. Yea, I got some 'broken in' wear on the back on my Grabber, feels pretty cool. Not all the way down to the bare wood, yet. :)

That my friend, is VERY sweet bass! My favourite Fender colors, too!! :smug:

CLIPS!

:bassist:

8. geezer...its actually saiyonara...w00t for me takeing japanese ^_^ (im in 3rd year)

- w00t

9. Very nice bass, can you guys tell me what dates the pre-CBS basses are, and why they are considered the pinnicle of Fenders. I Know nothing about Fenders as you can tell and am curious as to the pre/CBS thing.

Again very nice looking bass you have there Boogiebass.:bassist:

Regards

Matthew

10. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I am no expert on Fenders, but pre-CBS would be any Fender bass/guitar made prior to approximately middle of '65, when CBS took over Fender. CBS instituted a number of changes and concensus seems that those changes resulted in lower quality across the board.

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The changeover was Jan 1965. CBS continued to make basses with old parts until the end of that year. I had a dot neck jazz in sunburst and torty plate date 17/7/65. Block inlays and binding appeared in 1966.

CBS continued improving Fender instruments and conventional wisdom states that the best ones are pre 1973.

12. Brooks/Chris Thanks for the info.

Matthew

13. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I sat here for awhile and debated putting in my 2 cents, since it concerns my former employer of 14 years, but like my dedication to saving ears and teaching our young players that you can enjoy music with a $100 bass and a $50 amp, my heart tells me that I have to toss this in--in spite of the fact that "experts" will climb all over me for it.. :^>)

IMHO, as well as those of MANY people who worked there during the serveral regimes, the ENTIRE Pre=CBS thing is highly overblown. In two sentences or less, it wasn't until the END of the CBS days that they got EVERYTHING out the door. It previous days, the instruments would have gone back through for more work.........but they shipped. Greed? Perhaps.

Fender made GREAT basses through the entire history and they made some which were slightly less great.

I get a kick out of some folks who continue to play the "start the rumor at this side of the room and see what it morphes into by the time it reaches the other side". The most recent is "You have to go through a BUNCH of basses to find a good one".

I'd be MUCH more likely to go through a lot of STORES to find a STAFF who know how to take care of instruments. I used to go beserk walking into one of my dealers and finding protruding frets and bowed necks because they ignored the Cardinal rule of MI Retail......"humidity control". Was Fender responsible for the bass "sucking" at that moment in its life? No. It was 100% the responsibility of the dealer who had a 12% humidity rating in his store and should have been spanked. Simple adjustments cured almost EVERY "patient".

In closing, because of my former "position", I've played hundreds of Fender basses during my life and I've found some from EVERY period that were stunning, some that were OK........and some that absolutely sucked........for varieties of reasons and in ALL price ranges. I played a Squier bass that was one of the nicest pieces I'd ever seen. Sounded incredible and looked amazing--right down to the birds eye maple neck. Yes, I did say Squier. :^>)

Let not the "tales" that were started by others--especially those who profit from our questionable beliefs-- guide you in making your choices of a bass. Let your own senses dictate the quality that you hold in your hands.

Regarding the Relics---IMHO, some of the coolest stuff out there. The best Fender bass that I ever owned--and I had many--was a Burgundy Mist Relic Jazz Bass. A stunning piece.....a musical songbird.....visually AND sonically. :D

So let's see..........to prove my point let's start a new rumor. Let's see...........did you know that all basses made on Tuesdays in 1957 were the VERY best. Let's see, we'll need a reason won't we? Here's one!!

All basses made on Tuesdays were hand-built by Leo himself. Well, of course, you're hip so you ALREADY knew that, didn't you? :) Now, pass it around. See how long it takes for others to "buy it" too. lol
    Bass-ically Yours,
    RB

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    They actually didn't do much to the back of the neck. Looks sorta new, I'd say, Fuzz. Or rather, just not roughed up might be a better way to put it. In any case, the feel is to die for. Buttah.

15. RB

Are you sure it was Tuesdays, because I had heard Leo made them on Mondays but it was Tuesdays that they sprinkled pixie dust on them for that added extra somthing;) :D

Matthew

16. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I'm sure on the Tuesday thing!!! It's "gospel", so tell anyone who'll listen.

The pixie dust was only used during 1958 AND 1959..........and it was sprinkled on Bassman amplifiers. Since everyone knows how popular those are, how could there possibly be any doubt as to the validity?

RB

17. LOL:D

Thanks for the clarification!!

I will not say any more as my original question about pre CBS Fenders somewhat hijacked this thread.

Apologies to Boogiebass and I will say again ... nice bass:bassist:

Regards

Matthew

18. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Hmm I think the best thing to tie up all the loose ends here is that no ahem vintage Fender era had a custom shop, which is in my apprarently uninformed opinion the best thing to happen to Fender. I joined this thread lusting for a relic jazz and it hasnt helped-BTW boogie play that bass a lot.

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Right on, bro! :D

20. How about some sound samples? :D
    (I love the sound of a good jazz.)

That bass looks awesome, boogie! Have fun with it!