Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Great Half of Football!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Did anyone see the Arsenal/Bolton match? Man, that 2nd half was one of the most intense halves of soccer I've ever seen! It seemed like Arsenal had the ball on Bolton's half of the pitch for about 15 minutes, but couldn't score. They came VERY close about 6 or 7 times. Then Gilberto puts it in with about 3 minutes left into stoppage time to make it 1-1, and then Arsenal almosts scores again with about 20 seconds left! Man, that was great footy! :hyper: :bassist:

2. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Missed it, sounds like a classic. Doesn't look like it's on the docket for replay either. :meh:

Although I do not support Arsenal, I will usually watch them whenever possible, as I just seem to enjoy watching them play. Less so with out Viera...

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I'm a Man Utd. man, and a West Ham fan, but I do like good footy, even though I despise Chelsea, who lost the other day! :hyper:

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh, bummer. I thought this was a college or NFL game discussion.
    :D

-Mike

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That's AMERICAN football. You have to say the "American" bit. "American Football" is different to "football". If you just say "football" on it's own, it does not mean "American football". It just means "football", which is different. "Football" is a ball game played with the feet. You don't use your feet much to actually play the ball in American football. Come to think of it, you don't use a proper ball either. A bit like our "Rugby football", which is also not really football, so we just call it "rugby". Maybe we should just call your game "American rugby". Although it didn't originate in Rugby like our Rugby did. So perhaps we should leave out the "Rugby" bit. And "foot". And "ball". But that would mean just calling it "American", which could be confusing as that's an adjective rather than a noun. We could call it "gridiron", maybe. But I've never understood where the "iron" bit comes from. I think I'll stop now.

6. We've heard the argument several times before, but I'm afraid you'll find you're just talking to deaf ears. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of "your" football but we're so used to calling it soccer most Americans don't feel a need to change it.

Ugh, I need Fox Soccer Channel or Gol Tv...it's absolutely impossible to keep up with any of the leagues. I consider myself an Arsenal supporter...shame I can't comment on the game, I didn't see it.

7. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    West Ham - Brimingham is the featured game in Fox Soccer Channel tonight at 8:00.

You'd have to be a fan to watch that one...or have a relative on the field...:ninja:

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    :D I watched it.

9. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yeah, I know, I was just kidding... maybe I should have put several zillion smileys at the end of my first post.

I've been a football fan (sorry, "soccer" to you guys) all my life, but never really got into the American game until I sat in a bar in NYC watching a game on the TV and this guy took the trouble to explain to me what was going on. Real nice fella... Only trouble was, we drank so much beer that I couldn't remember a thing he told the next time I watched a game, had to start from scratch. :D

10. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    That's how it's supposed to work....we do that every weekend...

11. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Then we have a LOT in common. ;)

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I know you were kidding around, but I know what you mean. Sometimes I forget that plenty of Europeans read these threads.

-Mike

13. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Hey, who are you calling a European!!?? :D

:bag: Sorry, just kidding again. To some people over here in the UK, calling them "European" would cause some concern (on political grounds; not geographical ones, fairly obviously).

Me? Well, let's just say that if we ever do get absorbed into a "superstate", I'll take my salary in dollars rather than euros, thanks...