A great showman/bassist that all should see

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by marineman227, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Just my 2 cents but i think Story of The Year in general has some great showmanship that even if you don't like that type of music you can respect and possibly even learn from some of what they do. Especially their bassist who IMO is one of the most diverse bass players out there. He's the only one i've ever seen playing bass, singing lyrics, do a somersault on stage while playing his bass, and do a stage dive all in the course of about a minute and a half. I have a video of it taken off a show they did on MTV if anyone is interested. To me it's just incredible the amount of energy they play with and i think alot more bands should try to mimick that to become the best band that they possibly can. Again just my 2 cents but i thought i'd throw that out there. Mods if this shouldn't be in the bassists section feel free to move it
  2. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Hmm, i havent noticed his talent, but i did realise he plays a warwick thumb ;)
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    He does the neck spin thing, as does that entire band in both of their videos. I guess he has energy, but the music is boring to me.
  4. slapNnap420

Aug 23, 2004
    Just because he can sing, and roll around while playing doesn't mean he's a good bassist, it just means he has good showmenship. I'm sure he's very good at the flash, but honestly he probably isn't a very good bass player at all. Not to be a jerk or anything, i just feel that a lot of people get credit for music that can just barley play, when there are people who are phenominal talent and don't even get recognized because they can jump around and "look" like they can play.
  5. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    This music is created with intent to make you move. I and millions of others would much rather go to a show with a band that is jumping off of everything rather than some band that stands or in one place while playing complex lines / jaco / wooten music.

As for mimmicking them, I have begun studying their music videos and any show performance stuff by them I can get my hands on. Their showmanship is a huge inspiration to my band.
  6. He just pumps out root notes on all of their stuff. He was probably the 3rd guitar player or something, and they needed someone to fill the bassist's position. I mean, it's great that he has charisma and stage presence, those are very important when playing live, no question. And why are all their songs about dying? :confused:

edit: I referred to him as a hack... but there's no need for me to put him down like that, it's just not necessary.
  7. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    I'm so mad I even replied to the thread!!!!!! :p :meh:
  8. FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Flea is entertaining on stage. Has good 'showmanship', and also varies his basslines from how they are on the album.

I believe he once said in an interview: "If people come to see us live, I usually try to be as entertaining as I can, because otherwise, they may aswell just sit at home and listen to our CDs"..

I think thats a good approach.

Anyway, I havent seen many bands live so, not much more imput I can give.