1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A gui**** tuning experience...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Don't know if this should be here or in the 'Bass Humor...' section, but here's my story.

Today at practice with a pop group I just started playing for, I noticed I was out of tune with the guitar. I stop the song (there is a band leader, but she and I are close and the rest of the band respects my opinion as I do theirs even though I'm new guy--so this isn't so awkward), and said, "I think were out of tune" to the guitar player. I give him an E (in his octave, cuz, well, ya know)..E sounds good. He uses that for his A. A sounds good. Uses that for his D. Uh-oh, dissonance. Obviously, the D is the out of tune string--at lease this far....but what does he do? Turn the A string tuning knob, plays a power chord (that sounds even worse now that he has 2 strings even more out of tune), stops, looks over at me and nods "I'm ready." :confused: Do you not have ears?! By this time, I feel I have taken enough time from the band being the new guy and since no one else could hear the out-of-tuneness...so I nod "Ready" back.

I play the rest of the tune by bending my strings into tune every time we were both playing on the A.. the weird thing is that I have done this before with other players when I just don't want to stop the song to tune (because it is usually more hassle that its worth)...I just bend then strings into tune--any you guys ever done this?

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    just walk over and tune it for him next time, lmao.

3. Buy a fretless:)

4. +1

5. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    i have to do that all the time.

6. Oh, and tell your guitar player to get a tuner in his chain of effects!

7. Keep a cheap tuner handy and give it to him whenever he says he's good and you know otherwise.

You could also just slap him upside the head..... funny, but it may cause some band tension.

8. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    My gui**** in one band can't stand to be out of tune. He has a good ear for that kind of thing, so unless we're playing a show (he'll drive straight through a song bending notes to where they need to be and make do until the song's over) he'll stop the band and tune up.

In the other, gui**** never seems to be out of tune. He always checks pitch right before practice and it never changes until he switches to drop D.

9. jinithith2

jinithith2

Jul 15, 2007
    New Hampshire
    the gui**** in my band gets somewhat close to the note and then wants me to start playing with him. Our pianist and i got so sick eventually that we just yelled at him and he got a little closer and looked at us like we were the crazy ones... I gave him a tuner for a surprise present and told him to use it otherwise I snap his les paul in half

10. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    Tuning and stying in tune is a skill like any other. My ears are not the greatest but I know when its not right and so rely on a good tuner. I wouldn't go through all kinds of gymnastics to try and make him sound right. I would on the other hand speak up when "something" doesn't sound right or sounds out of tune. It should become obvious to somebody that there is a problem. Nothing wrong with having a tuner handy to offer to your bandmate in a friendly non-threatening way.

JKT

11. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Haven't you heard?

450 is the new "A".

12. jinithith2

jinithith2

Jul 15, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i thought a C# was the new A... at least thats what my gui**** convinced me of

13. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Learn sign language for "Are you in tune?"

14. Kandris

Kandris

Aug 25, 2006
    Learn sign language for "You are not in tune!"

15. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    go on.

16. It's even more fun with you have a piano and this happens. I actually heard a guitar play tell a piano player that he was out of tune. His response was priceless "If you are really that stupid, how did your mother ever potty train you?"

17. I actually had a similar experience last night with the gui****. He's a newer player so I cut him some slack. I do play fretless and I'm not in the mood to adjust my playing, so I just pulled out my turbo-tuner and said ... make the dots stop moving.

18. I think you can cure two problems without ruffleing any feathers. Nothing worse then band members or even worse an audience hearing one single note of tuning. Get the band leader to just say he/she wants to do "quiet" tunings from here on. When coming back from a break etc. the leader [sounds corny] should say take a quick second to tune. If he can't handle that he should be fired. You might notice that when he gets use to privately tuning he'll take the time to check each string instead of fumbling prublicly. :p

19. I always say "Can we check our tune? Something doesn't sound right to me?" Then I do a quick check with my digital tuner (to make sure I'm OK) and offer it to everyone else with strings. The 30 seconds it takes to tune is worth it. I'll do this at rehearsal and even during a gig.
    It makes no sense to be out of tune with digital tuners being dirt cheap.

20. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Playing along with two acoustic guitars make me thankful I'm a bass player....... but jealous that the lead guitar can tune by ear :crying:
    Sometimes people really can't hear that they're out of tune... hand him a tuner :). Point out to him that new strings/old strings/breathing on the guitar funny can easily make it go out of tune.....not a big deal if it gets retuned.
    Who cares if you're the new guy.. just say, hey, play that string again, something sounds off :)