Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a guitar cab on a horn bass cab ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo lio, Oct 9, 2003.

1. lo lio

lo lio

Apr 10, 2003
    FRANCE 78930
    Is it possible to connect a guitar cab on the horn of a bass cab ?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking...could you elaborate a bit please.

3. lo lio

lo lio

Apr 10, 2003
    FRANCE 78930
    Yes but i don't have all the words i want in english.
    I want to know if it's possible to connect (?) a guitar cab on the horn (for the high frequencies) of my bass cab. I think of that because i would like to have a cleaner sound but i don't like the sound of the horn : there's always too much distorsion on it. Is it normal to have a distorsion sound with a horn ?
    I hope that you can understand now. Thanks.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    o ok..he wants to know if he can run the high to a guitar cab and run the lows to a bass cab..

hmm maybe

steve

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks, I (think I) understand better now.

If you are wanting to connect a guitar cabinet in place of your cabinet's tweeter, I would think that you might be disappointed with the result.

Most tweeters are crossed over above 2.5 KHz, quite a few at 4 - 5 KHz. At those frequencies, the guitar speaker wouldn't get much signal.

If you are asking about biamping...with an electronic crossover between the preamp and power amp, that would probably work better as you can choose a lower crossover frequency and give the guitar speaker more signal.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If the horn is distorting, you may be pushing it too hard. Or maybe the crossover is not doing it's job and the horn is being fed frequencies that are too low for it to accept.

I would get the horn looked at by a repairer. Maybe even consider replacing it with a better horn.

7. lo lio

lo lio

Apr 10, 2003
    FRANCE 78930
    "o ok..he wants to know if he can run the high to a guitar cab and run the lows to a bass cab.. " you're right Steve.

"If you are asking about biamping...with an electronic crossover between the preamp and power amp, that would probably work better as you can choose a lower crossover frequency and give the guitar speaker more signal."
    Billy B> with biamping i need a guitar amp no ? Can i connect a guitar cab on the bass amp with a crossover in between ?

"If the horn is distorting, you may be pushing it too hard. Or maybe the crossover is not doing it's job and the horn is being fed frequencies that are too low for it to accept.

I would get the horn looked at by a repairer. Maybe even consider replacing it with a better horn."
    My bass cab is a bse 410 hlf ampeg. Normaly the sound of horn is "clear" when you don't push it No ?
    Thanks a lot for your replies (?)

;)