Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a guitar head thru a bass speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matito, Dec 19, 2005.

1. now i play bass and guitar.

i have recently upgraded my bass rig to a ashdown abmII 500 head and eden 112XLT cab

now its time for me to get a good guitar rig going.

so i'm thinking as a temp for a while i could use the eden cab with a guitar amp.

has people done this before, is the sound still alright?

i'm doing this so i can spend more money on a guitar head now and get a guitar cab later on down the track, a few months away

thanks

2. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    lots of people use bass equipment for guitar. Although you will find it may not be your cup of tea. Just get a head and chuck it on top and see what you think before you commit.

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    It will be OK for practice, probably need to mic it for a band situation unless your guitar head of choice has a line out - features that we expect in a bass amp are often missing in guitar amps. A 12 is probably the best bass speaker to play guitar through.

I play guitar maybe once a month. My bass head (Mesa D-180) is also IMO one of the best guitar heads on the planet. Sounds OK with guitar through my 2X15, but the 2X15 sounds terrible if I compare it to the sound I get with a good guitar cab.

So, to me your plan sounds good - it will let you save up for a good guitar cab, always good if you can avoid buying OK gear because you need it right away, when for a little more money and in a little while longer you could have gotten GREAT gear.

4. yeah, well its just going to be for practise for the time being.

if i need to use it for a gig, i can always borrow or hire a guitar cab :)

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You've got it bass-ackwards. Guitar and bass amps are quite similar, guitar and bass speakers very dissimilar. Get a guitar speaker and a guitar multi-effects and use your bass amp.