A hair rubber band to mute strings? Explain?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Mar 2, 2005.

1. I've seen a few bassists with a hair rubber band or something on the neck of their Bass near the head. I'm guessing this is to mute while tapping and hammering on? Do you do this?

What type of rubber band is the best? I notice that when right hand tapping after lifting off a note I get that open buzz, and I'm guessing that elminates it...Help! :eyebrow:
  2. It's not a rubber band really, it's a hair tie made of cloth material. Any hair tie would do.

You said it. Helps to eliminate buzz and ringing.
  3. Yeah, that's what I meant. Not made of rubber, but cloth. Thanks.
  4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Scrunchi. You can get them at any Walgreens. I've had better luck, though, with wrapping craft felt around a partially-tightened guitar capo.
  6. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It's always fun getting them on the neck and over the headstock and tuners.

I helped my friend get one on his bass.. :rolleyes:

Will these do well for fingerstyle? I like to have particularly low action and buzzing is my enemy.
  7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Nothing, really.
  8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I keep two big'ol ones up on the headstock of my peavy bass. I almost always keep one of them on the strings right near the nut, and when I'm tapping I put both of them down to just behind the lowest fret that I need.

I've noticed that when I pick up a high quality bass at a music store I can almost tap without a mute, but my cheapy (Peavy Foundation) REALLY tranfers vibrations to other strings - This is evident with conventional playing too. It's probably good for me, because I have to really concentrate on my thumb-muting and left-hand muting to sound clean. I'll probably play super-clean once I get a good bass (but I love the way this bass feels, and I think I need a decent amp first).

9. bass samurai

bass samurai Guest

Jul 7, 2003
    I've been using a scrunchie ever since seeing Victor Wooten use it playing live.
  10. I use one when I play fingerstyle with a synth bass effect on my 6 string.. The spacing is pretty close so I tend to hit other strings or harmonics I dont mean to.. The synth picks it up and goes crazy.. Just gets rid of unwanted sounds and tends to sound more clean.

Draw back is you cant play open strings.. But, really isnt a big issue.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I put a scrunchie on my Squier P bass when I play pop punk with a pick.
  12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's funny because I - a 5-string player - can say "not being able to play opens isn't a big issue when you have five or six strings to choose from", but a 4-string player could also say "Playing nice and clean without a mute is no big issue when you don't have so many close-spaced strings to babysit"!

I wouldn't consider going back to four, I don't think - six or seven may tempt me in the future if I keep improving on my tapping...