1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Handy Hint

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Kat_Mia, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Use a snooker cue holder/carrier as a bow holder/carrier! :D

I bete everyone knew that already but I've just brought a snooker cue holder and I've been carrying my bows around with me today! Teehee! :D

2. And I bet everyone thinks you're off to the snooker tables, Kat. But that's O.K. I have a wooden flute that I sometimes carry in a "quiver" that has a shoulder strap and everyone thought it was a billiard cue case. Sure, I'm off to the billiard hall to play the flute....

I can't help but wonder...(in fact I'm nearly afraid to ask), but since you bring it up, do you find you need to have a bow at the ready just in case you come upon a bass? ;)

3. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    LOL! I carry my bows to and from school on the days when I have orchestra and bass lessons as the school bows are cr*p. The school basses are cr*p too but until I drive next year I can't take that in too as I walk to school...

4. With your genuine enthusiasm, I expect you'll be soon driving to symphony rehearsals....

Get a truck though;- so you can fit the table in as well .... :smug:
    just kidding!

5. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Table? :eyebrow:

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
  7. That's bows as in more than one bow? :confused:

8. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Oh, I get it! :rolleyes:

Yep, I've got two, one nylon hair, one horse hair! :smug:

9. Contra|Brett|

Contra|Brett|

Oct 6, 2004
    I too carry my bow to and from school, but sometimes i take my bass. school basses are crap, so are the bows. <-- sentance fragment

it all depends on how much work i want to do during the day.

10. Kat, do you have a bow fetish?
    Just kidding again! I like my bow as well. I shouldn't get on your case like this! :D

11. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    I s'pose you could say I do! :eek: LOL!

I still haven't found one I really like playing with though, I prefer my horse hair to nylon as the horse hair is weighted and is smoother to play with whereas the nylon is a bit lighter and takes more work! Maybe I'm just lazy? :eyebrow:

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wouldn't you be better off with something like this? :

[​IMG]

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's nice! Just don't forget to change "bows" when you switch from archery to arco... :eek:

14. My new wooden bow is heavier than the fiberglass one I used at first, but they both had the lighter colored horse hair. (I have a hair fetish.) The hair just takes a little while to break in. I think the wood has a better feel to it too. (Maybe I have a wood fetish also.) I gave the fiberglass one to a guy who didn't have a german bow to try out.

So Kat, do you prefer the German style bow or French?

15. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    I play French! :D

16. Who knows ... you might "really like" a german bow. (fetish tickler). I think you can get them with either the nylon or horse hair (tickling again). I've seen some with nice narrow ebony frogs, ... abalone slides, .... pernambucco, osage orange;.... probably fit in that snooker case with the others;.... shall I go on? ....
    :D

17. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    I've played German before and sorry but :scowl: LOL! No way! I didn't like it at all. Maybe because I'm not used to it but nooo way!