Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Handy Hint

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Kat_Mia, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Use a snooker cue holder/carrier as a bow holder/carrier! :D

I bete everyone knew that already but I've just brought a snooker cue holder and I've been carrying my bows around with me today! Teehee! :D

2. And I bet everyone thinks you're off to the snooker tables, Kat. But that's O.K. I have a wooden flute that I sometimes carry in a "quiver" that has a shoulder strap and everyone thought it was a billiard cue case. Sure, I'm off to the billiard hall to play the flute....

I can't help but wonder...(in fact I'm nearly afraid to ask), but since you bring it up, do you find you need to have a bow at the ready just in case you come upon a bass? ;)

3. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    LOL! I carry my bows to and from school on the days when I have orchestra and bass lessons as the school bows are cr*p. The school basses are cr*p too but until I drive next year I can't take that in too as I walk to school...

4. With your genuine enthusiasm, I expect you'll be soon driving to symphony rehearsals....

Get a truck though;- so you can fit the table in as well .... :smug:
    just kidding!

5. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
  7. That's bows as in more than one bow? :confused:

8. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Oh, I get it! :rolleyes:

Yep, I've got two, one nylon hair, one horse hair! :smug:

9. Contra|Brett|

Contra|Brett|

Oct 6, 2004
    I too carry my bow to and from school, but sometimes i take my bass. school basses are crap, so are the bows. <-- sentance fragment

it all depends on how much work i want to do during the day.

10. Kat, do you have a bow fetish?
    Just kidding again! I like my bow as well. I shouldn't get on your case like this! :D

11. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    I s'pose you could say I do! :eek: LOL!

I still haven't found one I really like playing with though, I prefer my horse hair to nylon as the horse hair is weighted and is smoother to play with whereas the nylon is a bit lighter and takes more work! Maybe I'm just lazy? :eyebrow:

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wouldn't you be better off with something like this? :

[​IMG]

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's nice! Just don't forget to change "bows" when you switch from archery to arco... :eek:

14. My new wooden bow is heavier than the fiberglass one I used at first, but they both had the lighter colored horse hair. (I have a hair fetish.) The hair just takes a little while to break in. I think the wood has a better feel to it too. (Maybe I have a wood fetish also.) I gave the fiberglass one to a guy who didn't have a german bow to try out.

So Kat, do you prefer the German style bow or French?

15. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
  16. Who knows ... you might "really like" a german bow. (fetish tickler). I think you can get them with either the nylon or horse hair (tickling again). I've seen some with nice narrow ebony frogs, ... abalone slides, .... pernambucco, osage orange;.... probably fit in that snooker case with the others;.... shall I go on? ....
    :D

17. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    I've played German before and sorry but :scowl: LOL! No way! I didn't like it at all. Maybe because I'm not used to it but nooo way!