A Hanewinckel Trio in the House

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Apr 19, 2004.

1. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Much to my good luck, three fine new basses by Pete Hanewinckel have found their way to me. The one in the middle was the result of a recent trade with a TBer. I gave up a very nice MTD 535 for this Pro Fusion 5. More about this bass later in another thread.

The other 5 is a Classic Vector with a solid mahogany body, wenge board and maple/wenge neck. The 6 is a Pro Reactor with a flame goncolo top on an ash body. It's a 7 piece wenge/pau amarello neck with a pau ferro fingerboard, flame goncolo alves top on an ash body core.

All the basses feature Bart pickups and 9v or 18v preamps, as is Pete's usual approach.

None of these basses have seen gig action yet but they will and I will post detailed reviews once that happens for anyone who might be interested.

It is also remotely possible that one of these basses will be available for "adoption" in the near future. ;)
  2. nice basses boogie! That figuring on the middle fiver's fretobard is SICK. The 6 has (to my eyes ofcourse) the nicest body shape, and I love Hanewickel's headstock design, very sweet. Whats the scale length on those bad boys? Sounds clips any time soon?
  3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I REALLY dig that sixer on the right. Very cool man.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks! All my Hanewinckels are 34" scale. Pete will make a 35", of course, but his preference is 34". Mine, too! :D
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanx, bro. :cool:
  6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

We might have to arrange a visit soon...after all you haven't seen my beez yet either. :)
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you love them Haneys , huh? good deal ,man- i have a frined in Fla that just swears by them- they look great, bro-
  8. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Jeez louise! :D

As always, I'd love to hear about sound difference between the bunch.
  9. Yeah, I prefer both the feel and sound of a 34 in scale instrument. My B kinda thumps like the E and A, it's sweet. Anways, nice instruments again.
  10. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Boogiebass, you are a wicked, wicked man. You are single handedly depriving so many bassists the pleasure of playing a Hanewinckel. You just snap 'em up as fast as Pete can build 'em. ;)

Just for clarification....these three aren't ALL the Hanewinckels you have, just the new ones, right? I don't see the black J-style or the other 6 string. How many does that make total?

11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    That fiver in the middle es muy bonita. (o?)
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, I dig 'em. No question. Thanks, man! :D
  13. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Any time at all, dude!
  14. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sonic comparisons coming soon to a TB near you. Actually, I'll probably do comparisons in the context of full-blown gig reports so it'll be over the next few months. These days, I like to play them on gigs in order to get the full "flavor." ;)
  15. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Actually, the 5 on the left and the 6 on the right are PH Closet Classics! :p I ain't depriving nobody, my man. Pete has had these basses on hand for years. He just decided to clear out some stock and made me a package deal I simply couldn't turn down. Both basses are 9 volt with the earlier headstock design. Ostensibly, I bought them with the admittedly crazy idea of actually passing them on to the bass playing community via great deals. But guess what? I may not be able to part with them!

Your clarification is correct; these are just my latest three. I have a total of 8 all together -- a 4 string, two 5's, three 6's (two fretted and one fretless) and two 7's. And Pete has been working on my Signature 7 semi-acoustic since last August.
  16. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000

Interesting you should point that one out, Josh. It's a solid mahogany body and a very warm sounding bass. Somewhat hefty but I like it a lot so far.
  17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Gracias! :D
  18. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    second that!
  19. That bass came from willsellout (Dan). He had problems with the way it sat on a strap. Are you having any such problems? Hanewinckels are absolutely gorgeous!
  20. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, Dan is a great guy. I've done a couple of deals with him, in fact.

He told me about his strap issues but apparently they were associated with the angle/length he prefers and the degree of "tummy cut" on the back of the instrument. In any case, I have no issues whatsoever with the bass. It's perfectly balanced on a strap and very comfortable at the strap length I use.