Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A happy Christmas: I just finished building my new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Barber, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    If you recall the "Scrap Wood Bass" from last summer, this is the second one I have done in this body style. It's a red maple top over spalted ash body with wenge accent line. FB is ebony, neck is walnut/maple/walnut. Passive V/B/T with Carvin J99 single coils (thanks Steve-o), and an old BadAss bridge I had lying around. I still have a couple of issues to address, such as some fret buzz and making a truss rod cover I that I like. But it's strung up and playable :) Opinions welcome as always :D

EDIT: to attach a less fuzzy pic.

[​IMG]

2. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    another

[​IMG]

3. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    the back

[​IMG]

4. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    and last...

[​IMG]

5. thats amazing! very well done!
    so when can we expect some sound clips eh? :p

6. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

I don't know what to say. It's amazing.

7. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I'm not worthy! :eek:

8. fishsome

fishsome

Dec 17, 2003
    Chicagoland Area
    wow! you made that!?!? did you start from scratch or what? some of my friends and I are wanting to build guitars. do you think you could help me out? ill send you a pm. if you can i'd much appreciate it! once again nice work!

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    hey, another beautiful bass Tim. I love it.

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Tim man, as always, beautiful work. You should start doing this as a side job! How's the Essex working out for the church? You know what, now that you are done, Rondo starts offering replacement necks for $39!!

Peace,
    Scott D.

11. looks comfy:)

12. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    You made that? Its very nice, I like it. :)

13. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Thanks! BTW I'll be starting on a tenor 5 pretty soon (hint, hint). ;)

Thanks Scott, the SX Jazz is working great; I'm loving it! Yeah, I knew Rondo was getting necks soon, but then I would have missed out on all the fun of doing it myself :D. Plus I dig the matching painted headstock, and the replacement necks are plain.

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Tim - I'm just curious, how much (In materials, and time (hours)) did this cost you? If you don't feel comfortable, that's totally cool, I'm just wondering. Glad to hear it's working great for you.

Peace,
    Scott D.

15. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Do you mean the new Arcadia bass (that's my name for this body style) or the SX neck repair?

The new bass was probably about 60 hours??? (I wasn't counting) and about $50 in new materials. I had almost all the stuff already except the pups, and I traded for those. To buy everything new, maybe $300 or so?

The Jazz FB repair, I guess maybe about 12 hours, $0 since I had the FB blank, and about 500 gray hairs trying to get the neck straight ;)

If anyone is wondering what we're talking about, the thread on the SX Jazz is here.

16. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, i was talking about the arcadia. Wow, $300? awesome. Timmy, you should make me a bass. I'd pay you double what it costs. Your stuff is awesome!!!

17. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Season's greetings Tim. Just a beautiful bass. Well done. I hope you had a great Christmas with your family. Nice homepage. Nice family. Nice basses. You're doing something right, so keep at it.

18. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    very nice bass
    we are waiting for the sound clips ;)

19. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA

What you have to realize is that the cost was'nt just $300 it was 60 hours as well. $300 for 60 hours, $5 an hour. Somebody might do it for that, but they are not going to make any thing off of it.

Oh and by the way nice bass.

20. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    hey tim those are my old pups..lol how do they sound?

and now that im getting money..since the job thing is working out..do you still have everyting saved from the bass i wanted built?

thanks
    steve