Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A hello and a quick Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hbtv03, Apr 27, 2004.

1. hbtv03

hbtv03

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah, so I'm new to talkbass, although I've been visiting the site for a year and a half now. After 6 years of playing flute, I have added both electric and upright bass to my repitoire -- mainly to play in my school's amazing jazz ensemble. So in about a year's time I've learned to pass through the two different clefs without a blink of an eye, learn some theory, and mainly play my heart out.

In January I purchased my second bass, a Fender Jazz (fretless). The flats on it wouldn't sustain my high end at all, and produced too many lows. I have just replaced the strings and am surprised at how much I enjoy this "tinny" sound. With my settings, my bass seems to have more of a funk style than anything.

I've noticed a lot of people on the forum saying that the TI flats have a nice clean sound. However, I would like to know how well they sustain the high end and if I will encounter the same brightness I do with my current strings. However, I like my low end as well as the high register, so I'd like to keep the dynamic the same across the fretboard. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Nicole

2. -Nicole, nice to have you posting and I hope you enjoy talkbass enough to post all the time!

Congrats on the change too, reading bass clef and treble clef was a little rough when I switched about 30 years ago.

I'm not sure what your current strings are but I will go out on a limb here and say YES, I believe TI Jazz flats will meet your needs.

Keeping the dynamis range across the fretboard has a lot to do with setup as well as the material strings are constructed with.

TI's characteristics: smooth, warm, balanced with high output.

http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/guitars/index.html

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. hbtv03

hbtv03

Apr 27, 2004
    Thank you very much! I'm using some random Fender flats now. I won't need new strings until maybe November, so I think they will hold up.

Sounding like an upright is everything to me. I started upright about a month ago for string ensemble (the other bassist was booted), but the school's has more of a jazz setting than a classical. It's so hott.

Thanks again!