A Hidden Benefit to DGCF Tuning

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Jan 23, 2017.

1. I just got a set of Roto 66 50-110, and about to put them on and tune DGCF. Looking forward to hearing some different sounds. Great thread.

MirandM likes this.
  2. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    The EADG of the bass guitar is taken from the double bass, whose tuning became settled after it went from 3 strings to 4 strings in the 1st half of the 19th century.

3. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    I'd love to have double bass with DGCF tuning, too expensive though...

Ricky Rioli likes this.
  4. Wibble666

Wibble666

Apr 20, 2021
    I’m having a hard time imagining this string set which is primarily aimed at bead can be satisfactorily tightened up to standard d?....surely the strings must be super tight? ...does it feel easy to play at this increased tension?

MirandM likes this.
  5. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    As a guide, here are the numbers GHS give for those gauges at those pitches for their Bass Boomers

.125 (D) 48.9
    .100 (G) 47.8
    .080 (C) not given but probably at least 60, as the B is 56.7
    .060 (F) 59.7

MirandM and Wibble666 like this.
  6. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    I have since moved my 34” 5 string back to BEADG, and now I have 30” 5 string which I keep in DGCFA#. On the 34” the strings definitely had a noticeable increase in tension but I actually rather liked it. It’s not THAT much different. However, it is interesting that my 30” tuned up actually helped make the tension feel more like a standard scale at standard pitch! That wasn’t what I was intending, but it actually works well in my originals band as we play all manner of gigs so a cheap shorty that’s passive is great.

7. Wibble666

Wibble666

Apr 20, 2021
    I’m now looking at some charts ...but yeah seems that the bead set is a bit on the low tension end of the spectrum and the jump up to dgcf is well within its scope and hopefully in a good way ....thanks guys.

MirandM likes this.
  8. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Has been some time ago that posted something here. Nowadays I tend to use 110/115-50/55 for DGCF, but in the case of a fretless I might go into the 125-60 or so basically because I like a stiffer strings on fretless. Personal taste and playing style I guess.

Wibble666 likes this.
  9. Wibble666

Wibble666

Apr 20, 2021
    Actually it is fretless ...I want to tune up from bead to low standard d and my finger style is a bit punchy so I’m thinking this might be a good move ...I don’t have the bass in my hands at the moment so this is all theory but I hope it works out in terms of flexibility...fingers crossed.

just looking at the chart those strings could even be working ok at conventional tuning ....im quite pleasantly surprised at this.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  10. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I've carried on looking at the tension charts, and thinking about DGCF on 55-75-95-115 strings - one thing that consistently annoys me is that a 45 G string sounds so unlike the other 3 strings, the character seems much more lightweight. I'm wondering if a 55 tuned to F would avoid that?

MirandM likes this.
  11. At age 64, I'm at a point in my life I'd like to keep things light and comfy. I use the GHS Pressurewounds 40-96 for EADG and 44-106 for DGCF.

Pressurewounds 40-96 in EADG:

G 040 - 37.2 lbs.
    D 054 - 36.5
    A 076 - 39.3
    E 096 - 34.2 (Total 147.2)

Pressurewounds 44-106 in DGCF:

F 044 - 34.4 lbs.
    C 062 - 38.6
    G 084 - 37.4
    D 106 - 38.1 (Total 148.5)

What I like about the Pressurewounds is, due to their relative stiffness compared to typical rounds, they never feel too loose or floppy even when down-tuned.

MirandM likes this.
  12. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    You should have a look at Stringjoy strings, they have an option to buy a custom set where you pick the gauges you want to comprise a complete set.
    I used them for my Ric which originally came with 45-55-75-105 to go +5 up to 50-60-80-110 for my DGCF, this was the perfect solution, but you can chose any combination you like. Their strings are of excellent quality and not even expensive.

Wibble666 and Ricky Rioli like this.
  13. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    True, I'm 61 but do like some heavier strings. However I do have a bass with 45-105 on DGCF, strung with Magma nylon tapewounds (BE400NB). The great thing about these strings is that they play super smooth, just like flats but the sound is like roundwounds because that's what they are in fact and even with this for DGCF light gauge they're not floppy at all.

14. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    I have been tuning DGCF for about 20 years now. All my Basses are 4 string and strung with flatwounds in 50-110 or 55-110 sets. I have a Spirit with 55-110 roundwounds just for kicks. Overall it just works out best for what I like to do and changing the brass nuts to use lighter gauged strings and tune up a step is not an option.

MirandM likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021