A Hipshot D-tuner on a Stingray: Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 13, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I play a MusicMan Stingray and most our songs are in drop D, but some in E. I remember hearing about the Hipshot D-Tuner a long time ago. Would this be worth the installation on my Stingray?

Also where can I find info on them? I went to Hipshots website and all I could find is this Bass XTender thing, which looks similar to the D-Tuner. Whats the difference?

2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    they're the same thing, d-tuner and bass xtender. i actually am selling one that'll fit your bass, if you want to look in the classified ads (not the reason i am posting here though). they are pretty easy to install, just goes in place of your tuner peg, should be a direct replacement as far as screws go. i found it to be very practical and accurate, didn't have any problems with it going out of tune or coming back sharp. some people recommend putting some graphite in your nut slut to facilitate the sliding back and forth. i used to have it on a different bass, and found myself missing it the other night when i was jamming and could have used a low d. it's a pretty nifty little invention.
  3. fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.

Talk about a freudian slip!! :eek: :p
  4. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    If you do some songs tuned D A D G and other songs tuned E A D G, in the same set, my favorite solution is two seperate basses. My second favorite solution is the Hipshot detuner.

I've had one on one of my basses for just a few months. Nifty little gizmo. Wish I had gotten one years ago. (Thought about it, but took me a long time to get around to it.) It's a pain in the ass to get adjusted and tuned properly, IMO. But once you have it set, it's dead on when changing from one tuning to the other. READ THE DIRECTIONS when you first get it. You may think you know how to tune your bass. That was my problem, I just skimmed over the directions and about pulled my hair out until I went back and re-read them carefully and found what I was doing wrong. :oops:
  5. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    The hipshot is a no brainer. It also seems to be fairly commonplace on Stingrays. I even had a friend that thought they were standard on Stingrays (too bad they aren't)! Best non-evasive mod you can add to a Stingray. Over time they will even change the way you play as you can pop in and out of D in the middle of a song or phrase. Your hands will hunt for the key when it's not there kinda like the first time driving an automatic after owning a stick shift. :)
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First of all, you may want to order directly from Hipshot, you can get one with a tapered post instead. Or buy used and order just the post. You'll thank yourself later. On the other hand, I swear by Hipshot's, one on every bass almost all the time! They work well and popping in and out of Drop D is definately worth while. The Hipshot Xtender is by far the best out there!
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hipshots are a great choice! I have one on my 4-string Spector and love it!

One thing to note, however, is when you de-tune, you'll notice a little loss of string tension and you'll be out of tune a little bit when switching back and forth. It's not a lot, and if you have a tuner you can easily accommodate minor tuning changes on stage.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Before I switched to 5-string, I had d-tuners/xtenders on most of my fours. They're fantastic devices. Once they were broken in, I could detune and retune between D and E within the same song and usually remain in tune.

My primary four-stringers were Music Mans: a Sabre and a Cutlass (graphite neck Stingray). Like I said, the Hipshots worked great. Go get one. :)