A hipshot Dtuner expert please!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Danm, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia

Have the above on the low E of my Stingray & have been noticing over the last week or so that the sound of that string has become kinda muffled & not as "out there" as the other strings. Not sure how else to describe it, sorry...

Was playing a gig lastnight & noticed it was slipping out of tune every coupla toons too... The other 3 strings didn't shift all nite...

Strings are EB slinkies 105-50's, All the strings came from the same pack a coupla months ago ( haven't been gigging much over Xmas)...

Is there anyway that the thing could be coming loose or something??? I'll pull it out & check it tonight but hoping someone else may have experienced this and can give me a hint as to what to look for before I go dissasembling my bass...

Or should I just put the original tuner back on????

Thanks for help.

2. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i had one on my flea bass and thought it was kinda neat at first. i found id fine tune it at the begining of the set and when it would come time to use it, it would always be a little sharp or a little flat so i would endup retuning it anyways. it was sold on ebay less than 5 months after i got it. now i just hit the harmonic on the 12th fret of my d string and then hit the harmonic on the 12th fret of my e string and tune by ear, it takes about 2 seconds and didnt cost 90.00. ;)
  3. I had a similar problem when I first got mine, and have found that after putting on a new set of strings, the D-tuner can cause slippage in the string when the switch is flipped or re-engaged. Hipshot suggests that once a new E-string is wound, D-tune the string, re-E-tune the string, and then tune the string to E since it will probably be slightly out of tune. Repeat this until flipping the switch and then re-engaging it results in a perfectly in-tune E. I also stretch my string out after putting it on, and before I do the above process. This does add about 5 or so minutes to a string change, but I have found that it is worth it. I love the Hipshot D-tuner. I have had my D-tuner installed on my bass for about five years, and using this method at every string change along with an occasional fine tuning of the drop screw (at the string change or before the gig) has resulted in perfect results during the gig. Good luck!

4. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I generally do follow the correct proceedure that you described above.... Still no luck...

Have a new set of strings ready to go so I might try that over the weekend & see how it goes....

Will probably give me a chance to make sure everythings nice & tight too!!!

Thanks again..