"A History of Violence" SUCKED!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Warning, spiolers!

This has got to be the all time worst movie I have ever seen in my life. I am so angry I spent money on this movie after hearing all the wonderful reviews. Breakdown time:

1) Action scenes: The action scenes are so dumb they are insulting. It is the typical 80s action style sequence were a group of armed men stand around like idiots as "Tom" does crazy ninja karate crap and slaughters them one by one. These sequences become so formula that everytime he gets into a pinch you say to yourself "Here he goes again!" and watch as he does karate and shoots groups of armed men as the armed men just sort of stand there and take it one by one. These rehashed scenes are spread throught the movie and are predictable and boring.

2) Character development: There is NONE! We get no depth into his past life, at all! The characters are very shallow. Each side character spends small amounts of time on-stage and we get to know very little about them.

3) Side plots: The single side-plot about his son who gets beat up and fights back at the end is very shallow, boring and un-needed.

4) Tom's wife: Everytime she talks its like I am watching some boring made for T.V. soap opera filled with cheesy lines, bad acting and cheesy over dramatization. She seems very LITTLE concerned that her family could get whacked by the mob but very MUCH concerned with the made for T.V. soap opera aspect of "being lied to."

5) Gore: The gore was way too over-the-top. It felt like I was watching a cheesy Troma movie like "Toxic Avenger" or "Bad Taste." The way over done gore was almost comic.

6) The "rehash scenes" factor: They keep rehashing the same violence squence, the same old "father son conflict" sequence and make them so similar to each other that each one feels like a slightly altered view of the last scene of the movie.

7) Not much "mob stalking" The mob never really stalked the family long enough or to the point were I truely felt like I was in suspense. Infact, no mob member ever stepped foot inside the house.

What a freakin dud. Facts:

1) Over the top sex and gore does not make for a good movie if it is out of place.

2) Just because a famous actor from Lord of the Rings is in this movie does not make it good.
  2. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I forgot to mention I could hear other movie patrons in awe of how much this movie sucked. I have never seen a group of people so shocked about how bad a movie was.

The words "That movie sucked" and "That movie was pretty bad" were heard a few times as me and my girlfriend exited.
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow! 90% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. I wonder if you saw the same movie as all those reviewers.
  4. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    The best part is when Viggo and his son are having an argument, and he says, "In this family we don't solve our problems by hitting people!" The son talks back with some snappy remark, so Viggo smacks him in the face. You just can't write stuff like that. :D
  5. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    All those "great reviewes" were the reason I went to go see it. On all the forums I have read I'd say around half of the people liked it and the other half, including me, cannot understand why people liked it.

I also do not understand "Dukes of Hazard" gaining a number 1 spot at the box office when it was released.

I need to buy myself a one way ticket out of the U.S. Seriously........
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hey "Gladiator" won the oscar for best picture and it absolutely sucked donky d--k.
  7. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I HATED "Gladiator." :crying: All gore, no plot (Ok, a weak plot) with that shallow gorefest.
  8. I liked Gladiator...but to each his own.

My pick for unworthy best picture winner definitely goes to "Titanic."
  9. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I just say this movie and have to completely disagree with you. The overall themes of violence and regret, and the need to remake oneself eclipsed any squabbles you might have had about form. Maybe you missed the picture. And for the record, if you've ever been in a real fight, which I have many a time, you'll notice it does not play out like a perfectly timed and choreagraphed Jet Li flick, which you seem to have wanted. Too bad you missed the point, but opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one.
  10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

i hated gladiator, too!

i was glad-when-it-was-over.

:rolleyes: :p

11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I also was not a Gladiator fan. Too derivative for one thing.

The extreme disagreements about "A History of Violence" have me intrigued though. I sometimes end up liking movies that are so broadly polarizing.

brad cook
  12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    This post is void of wit, word play, facetiousness, and sarcasm. Who are you and what did you do with Brad?
  13. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm glad you posted this, I was thinking about going to it.

On Gladiator, I liked it the first time, but the second time I realized how weak a movie it was. There isn't even one specific thing that was bad, just bad acting in general.

Give people some action and fight scenes and they forget about plot development and acting.
  14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Titanic was the best movie ever... we were drunk and we were laughing our arses off in the movie theater...

HA HA HA he is going to die... NOOOOOO say it isn’t soooo!!!

In sex scene we were cheering him on... it was tons of fun... Free bad movies rock... its like being characters in Mystery Science Theater 3000. Rest I really don’t remember much more of it…

The funny thing was watching couples… women were sooooo mad at us and guys were trying not go giggle.

I thought if I would feel bad for doing that if I wasn’t wasted… but nah… who ever goes to watch that movie and brings their boyfriend/husband for the torture deserves to get it ruined by drunk guys…. I just don’t feel bad for doing that because movie sucked so bad… Most of time I feel bad for doing bad stuff but not that time… no sir not one bit
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's all there...it's just that I've reached incredible levels of subtlety.

brad cook
  16. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    HEY!! I actually really really enjoyed dukes of hazzard..I mean come on what the hell did people expect? its based on a tv series about some "good ole boys" who own a tricked out car and who every week get into some " japes" with the local sheriff.....it aint rocket science.

plus I thought it had some of the best stunt driving I've seen since those ole 70s detective flicks.

so there.