A Hole In My Bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bazzist, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    So I decided to take the pickguard off my MIM Fender Fretless Jazz bass to see if the rout for the neck pickup was good like the bridge pickup rout or just plain sloppy. Upon taking off the pickguard I noticed a hole probably 1.5 cm in diameter and 1 cm in depth going into body. Any clue what this is there for and do others with MIM jazzes have this? See attached pictures. Thanks.
  2. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    It's typical for the MIM basses, but I'm not sure why it's there. It may be a positioning hole for the routers. I think the MIA basses have a similar hole under the bridge; never noticed this on a MIJ Fender..
  3. DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I took the p/g off my MIA Jazz, and it did indeed have a similar hole. I have no idea what it is for, but I guessed it had something to do with the construction process. Can't really see what purpose it would serve otherwise, except to encourage you to keep your p/g on!

4. shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    i really wish the new jazz basses had the wires covered up (and didnt have that hole), cause jazzes look sweet with no pickguard.
  5. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    It's a positioning hole for the CNC machine I do believe. This was discussed not long ago over in the Luthier's Corner.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yup, it's common. And a shame.
  7. DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    That's why I tried taking it off in the first place!
    I have a tobacco sunburst finish, so I was a little disappointed after I got it off and discovered the exposed wires and the hole. Oh well, I've grown to love the white pickguard it came with. :smug:

8. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    It's in my MIA Jazz V. I was thinking about putting a clear p/g on it, but.... the hole and somewhat sloppy neck p/u route.

Shame. :crying:
  9. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
  10. kaijo

Jul 17, 2005
    Question, what's a CNC machine?

::feels stupid::

11. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN