1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A hopefully interesting post...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chris Brodowski, Mar 28, 2002.

1. I've heard many a post on this board depicting the "EMG sound" or the "Rickenbacker sound", etc. I was wondering if we could put together a list of songs that present a "prototypical sound" of a certain type of pickup. For example, if you hear a song that can 100% be identified as being played with a Fender P-bass with a pick, list it (even though this sound is pretty distinct to me). If you hear a song that to you defines the Warwick or EMG sound, post it. I do understand that there are vast tonal variations out of these pickups, but I think it's fair to say that many pickups in the world of bass playing today have a distinctive sound.

Here's a SMALL list of a few pickups and/or setups that I would like to be included:

Fender P (w/ or without pick)
    Fender J
    EMG (actives only)
    Warwick (any warwick can be mentioned)
    Rickenbacker
    Musicman Stingray and/or Sterling
    Any Gibson bass, especailly the short scale ones

These are just a small portion of the basses I hope I get replies from. In fact, if you find any sort of sound that DEFINES a certain type of setup, like (this is a p-bass w/roundwounds and a pick through ampeg head and cabs; I know it's hard to get that precise) by all means post it.

I hope to provoke intelligent discussion, not a flame war against me or anyone else.:)

2. Good thread Chris. Here are some I can think of now, if I forget any, I'll just come back and add them on.

Fender P w/o pick: It's in your face on these.
    1) Pick up the pieces - Average White band
    2) Feels so good - Chuck Mangione

Fender P with pick:
    1) Sloop John B - The Beach Boys (Carol Kaye in the Studio) or almost any other early Beach Boys song.
    2) A Horse with no name - America (Joe Osborne in the studio) Joe's pick w/flatwound sound was also on many early Carpenters songs.

Fender Jazz:
    1) Cisco Kid - War
    2) Alright now - Bad Company
    3) So far away - Carole King

Rickenbacker:
    1) Roundabout - Yes - almost any other Yes song
    2) Burn - Deep Purple - not 100% sure, but I think so

Musicman Stingray:
    1) Stomp - Brothers Johnson

That's it for now, I'm going home.

Later,
    Mike J.

3. I have quite a bit of this on my web site under Reference Tunes. My spread sheet has other stuff by tone, tune and artist. I have several MP3 samples on my site. See my signature.