A huge chip just came off my P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lavmonga, Mar 20, 2018.

1. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    On my main gun FrankenP a massive chip just popped off. It’s an old MIM poly finish body. I walked into the room, saw a little split and inspected. Like an idiot trying to take pics for TB, I accidentally popped the chip right off. Large sucker too. I don’t mind relic’d basses, but I was trying to keep this one clean.

Only thing I can think of is the heat and cold of winter in NY, but the temp in the house is pretty stable and this bad boy has been through much worse.
    DB18A5B3-B15C-4B8A-959D-7007D0F471E1.jpeg 74841846-D1D0-429F-B5F3-D323034F5D47.jpeg 811AA657-19BA-40A5-BC1D-978195FAB75B.jpeg

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    That's not reliced. Prolly more will delaminate. Sorry to hear about that.

You may want to put a large sticker over it to keep it together.

I had do do that on the back of my '83 Les Paul. Paint would not stop delaminating.:(

3. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Wow, you don’t see that too often. Unfortunately, it looks like it could get worse, the edges of that make it look like the finish has come loose from the wood.

4. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    That’s character! Wear it proud. :thumbsup:

5. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Put a heat gun to it and finish the job!!

6. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Losing battle. That has been happening to my Tele for years, albeit in the little rectangular area just under the neck pocket. You can stabilize the edges, but you might be better off seizing the opportunity and repainting. That’s a YUUGE area.

Mvilmany, Uncle Hanky and trothwell like this.
  7. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Oh yeah take it off honey

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Sadly, that's true - had this happen to a bass of mine a while back, I do think it was temperature related in my case, but it was a small crack that turned into a bubble then got worse - The moisture/dry air causing the exposed wood to shrink and contract against the equally exposed edge finish over time , literally detaching it all by itself. It would break off whenever I played the thing! Ended up peeling a big chunk of it with very little effort. Ended up giving the bass to someone else as it was an inexpensive one to begin with, to my understanding, he just stripped it and repainted it.

Mili likes this.
  9. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I would consider just sanding the edges smooth to avoid them catching and just carry on using it. If it still bothered me I might paint it over with some white gloss paint, the type you can get in tubes for cars.
    And if I really wanted to do the best possible job for minimum cost I would get some of the white coloured super glue from Stewart-Macdonald, apply it and then sand - this should also provide some seal against moisture getting in.
    StewMac is our friend:thumbsup:

10. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Well, time to break out that ‘Anarchy’ sticker you’ve been saving in your drawer since 1981.

Lavmonga, seriously, that sucks. Your bass was exactly what I wished my black MIM Precision looked liked

11. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    I had a pretty awesome MIM P that I bought used with a good size chip in the paint. I sanded the edges of the chip into the wood a little. It held up well enough for me in my climate, plus it gave it more of a relic look. On a MIM Fender, that got a lot of use, I wouldn't care too much about that kind of damage. Nor would i invest much in repairing it. I'd personally rather put the money towards a new bass. You've still a great playable bass, now with more character!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    HardNHeavy likes this.
  12. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Seriously, that big of area needs some serious attention before it goes viral.:laugh:

13. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    I see a bass with a natural finish coming your way. :thumbsup:

bdplaid, Rebel Rocker, geof_ and 8 others like this.
  14. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Sorry to see that... I think you’ve gotten a lot of good advice. Looks like you can slow the process, but probably not halt it forever...good luck.

I apologize for briefly sidetracking, but I’m curious: does anyone know what wood that is? Looks pretty dark, or is that caused by whatever treatment the wood received prior to the poly coat?

15. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Basywater, Western Australia
    Audiofly In-Ear Monitors And Headphones
    This happened to my MIM jazz too and I ended up refinishing it.

IMG_3065.JPG IMG_3071.JPG

dmt, bdplaid, eastcoasteddie and 5 others like this.
  16. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    You know that shell pink body you always wanted?

17. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Looks like a candy coated M&M. Ouch. I say finish the job!

18. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    If got a '96 Dodge Ram 1500 doing the same thing.

19. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    If it were mine, I couldn’t resist chipping it away until I couldn’t chip anymore

dmt, rodl2005, Sunnburn and 16 others like this.
  20. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    i had that happen to a mim tele, after a crazy Massachusetts winter. Started bubbling, then cracked, then big chunks fell off after i picked them like scabs. I just went with it and took the rest of the finish off. Then instead of stopping there, I took the bad decision train to Relicville and burned it up for aesthetic reasons. Behold: Destructocaster:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    mikewalker and Stumbo like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021