A huge salute to factory workers!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by roller, Aug 24, 2022.

1. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I'm in between jobs and a staffing agency recently paired me up with a company who crafting parts for several high-end automobiles. The bulk of my job history is very different, so making car parts in a factory setting is something completely new.

Regardless of how his turns out for me, please allow me to stand on my soapbox and give massive praise and deep respect to those folks in factories all across Planet Earth who support themselves and their families turning out products of all kinds. Folks, this is a tough occupation -- factories are generally loud, hours are usually tough, workers are often treated unfairly (even in first-world countries) and it can be physically grueling to the human body depending on what's on the assembly line.

And factory machines can be deadly. My orientation yielded many grisly tales and I've already heard a few stories about individuals who were horribly injured merely feet away from my station.

I'm in sad shape this evening. The long hours have me physically and mentally exhausted. Standing and walking on concrete floors for 10 hours a day have my feet screaming. Slinging heavy aluminum wheels (even with gloves) has my hands in a dismal situation (mornings are just terrible as my movement is limited until I get "warmed up"). And thanks to my new steel-toed boots, I chunk of skin on my calves has been rubbed raw.

We'll see how this plays out... but moving forward, factory employees will be even more respected by yours truly. You people make the products we need and love and you put up with a lotta poop to do it. Thanks to you all!

Lowandfat, donhank, ShawnG and 23 others like this.
  2. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    You're welcome.:woot:

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Well said, and a good reminder.

JRA, Winslow and Low8 like this.
  4. The sad thing is many folks look at factory work as a pretty low and unimportant pursuit.

I did 5+ years in a foundry, worked in a couple different departments over that time. It was hot, dirty, demanding and tiring. But you clocked out every day with some satisfaction that you "did something." You made those parts, or were part of repairing something so more parts could be made. Your daily accomplishments were tangible.

To tell the truth, I'd still be there had another opportunity fallen out of nowhere. I've bettered myself and our family income-wise and it necessitated a move to another city where our life has been really good. That being said, that tangible aspect of the foundry is something I still miss from time to time.

Salute to you if you're in a factory setting. :thumbsup:

Jim Kernan, JRA, HaphAsSard and 3 others like this.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm with you on that feeling @WI Short Scaler. I don't get that same kind of feeling of accomplishment after a long day of IT work as I did when I was making/building things.
    Doing hard manual labor in challenging circumstances should be required of everyone for at least a year once they reach the age of being able to work where they live. I made my son do it when he turned 16, then he stuck at it and is still doing so 15 years later.

-Mike

JRA, HaphAsSard, Low8 and 3 others like this.
  6. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    I'm not wearing pants

Winslow and Low8 like this.
  7. Polfuste

Polfuste

Sep 10, 2010
    South France
    Completely in line with your vision and Low8's one. I've started in aeronautic as a worker, assembling aircraft parts between them to perform a bigger aircraft sub assy. We were using some not-so-good chemicals, paint, the work was sometimes physically challenging, with small areas in which we have to assemble fasteners, or going in an aircraft fuel tank with a gas mask for 3 hours to apply these not-so-good chemicals.. But as you said: at the end of the day, something was born in real from our hands.
    Then i upgraded to the method office. Work is more comfortable, no more chemicals, etc. The first years were good cause i was performing working documents for workers. So there was still something concrete at the end. And sometimes i could even have some creativity in my documents, as i was free to create it as i wanted.

But with the time, these part of work has been given to new guys, less experienced guys, and today i only have 20 problems to manage at the same time, with a lot of people from all offices, that don't really care about the whole objective. They just do "their" part to be appreciated by their little chief, and don't care for the rest of the product, or even the whole company interest. I just row all day to move a boat that is already put down on the beach..

KUDOS to workers !!!

oldandbold, Jim Kernan, JRA and 4 others like this.
  8. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Remember, 99+% of every object you see, was created in a manufacturing facility using the processes and principles of mass production.

There are three ways to create wealth.

Make something. Grow something. Dig something out of the earth. Or, in other words, manufacturing, mining, and agriculture. Everything else is just moving the wealth around and piling it up into various piles.

Low8, Polfuste and MJ5150 like this.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    One of my favorites from Alabama....

-Mike

Low8 and Polfuste like this.
  10. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I grew up in a rust belt city where a great many people, including my brother, worked factory jobs. I worked in a factory making electric heating elements for a summer while in college. A few months of hard, dirty work gave me a shot of motivation to stay in school.

I toured the Honda plant where my SIL is an engineer. A modern auto plant is a heck of a lot safer than they were say 50 years ago, with robots doing a lot of rthe heavy lifting and dangerous work. It still ain't easy.

HaphAsSard and Low8 like this.
  11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Thanks. I worked factories for 35 years and what you say is true.
    One big issue was many layoffs over the years as America moved
    a lot of them out of the country.

Low8 and HaphAsSard like this.
  12. Jim Kernan

Jim Kernan

Sep 25, 2008
    NEPA
    Thanks, 47 years in the same factory. At age 52 I took up bass playing & happily met this group.

HaphAsSard and bobba66 like this.
  13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Ive been a factory ape for most of my adult life. Some factories are more dangerous than others and the job I do as an industrial painter is quite safe. Our forklift is the most significant hazard in our warehouse but the risk from anything we do is pretty small as long as everybody follows the safety rules.

Government regulations for worker health and safety are quite strict now, compared to past decades, and injuries are rare.

More people dislike factory work because it tends to be unpleasant and tedious, than for safety reasons.

I like it for several reasons:

1) It's a regular and reliable paycheck. Fortunately, the company I work for has fared very well through the pandemic. Tragically, so many other companies haven't.

2) I work and get paid when I'm clocked in. Once I punch out for the day, my concerns about work end completely. I never bring work anxiety home with me. Ever.

3) My job has an almost "zen" like quality to it. I work alone in my paint room most of the time and I'm almost on "autopilot" when painting or doing my other routine jobs and that gives me opportunity to think/ponder/meditate/daydream.

4) I'm comfortable around factory workers. My coworkers and I tend to share an attitude that values simple, but skilled labor and and self reliance.

To be clear, I respect nearly everybody who works hard at their job, whatever their profession or career, as long as it benefits society in some way.

Jim Kernan, fdeck, Low8 and 2 others like this.
  14. Started in a Plastic Factory, became a touring bassist, quit the road got a factory job as a material handler stocking shelves for a Fleets and Transportation place if you don't know what that is? It is every fastener you can imagine right down to treaded rods and replacement tractor trailer parts, it was the hardest job I ever had in my life, because you had to bust your hump heaving heavy boxes to achieve your expect numbers by the end of the day I did that for 5 years. I went to school for computers and Management and that is why I am on my butt in a cushy chair now. But my hat is off to everyone who has walked in those shoes. PS you thought I was born with those muscle ha ha ha

Jim Kernan and Low8 like this.
  15. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    My dad worked at the same plant for 40 years. His friends used to make fun of him for being a factory worker. But he got the last laugh as he is physically in better shape than his buddies are(all of them were/are trades people), got great benefits, and actually has a pension.

He doesn't seem like he regrets being a factory worker. Far from it. And while I think my mom would've preferred him to have an office job, she wasn't complaining when he was off for 2 weeks every summer when the plant would shut down and he was home to do projects around the house lol.

Jim Kernan likes this.