Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A huge thank you to this site and eveyone who participates!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by vegaas, Nov 21, 2001.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I can't believe how much I have learned in the past month! Its all because of this and a few other sites.

I have been playing bass on and off for a while, all self taught. I started when I was 16 and played until I was 18. I quit and started up again for a year and then quit again. When I was 27 I started up again and this time stuck with it. That was 4 years ago. I am able to play most of the songs that I want to, I play in metal band (before that I played in a pop band :( ) and am able to hold my own. However, when someone would compliment me on my playing I would feel like a fraud because I never really understood what I was doing. I would just listen to songs and then figure them out. I could also come up with some decent parts for our originals, but if I was asked to improvise, our do an open jam, forget it, didnt have a clue.
    About a month ago, I was bored at work and decided to see if I could find some tabs on some of the covers we are doing, to see if it matched up with what I do. I found Tabcrawler, I saw the message board and signed up. It wasnt bad, but I could tell there were alot of younger players there. I did however notice their sections on some basic theory. I then found talk bass, and have learned all types of info about good bass construction and what to look for in bass's. I also started reading the the lessons on theory. Someone here then mentioned libster.com, what a god send that has become, for the first time in my life I am learning to read music!
    After years of stumbling my way through playing, I now am beginning to understand the instrument. And that has all come in the last month. It is unbelievable, I cant read music yet, but I am getting the basics down, I am now starting to understand chord construction, in the past if someone would say this is in C major, all I knew that it meant was that the root was C, I was lost after that, not anymore!
    I will stop rambling now, but it is amazing how much am learning and I just wanted to thank TalkBass and all of the members here for their help and contributions.
    Thank you,
    Vegaas

P.S. One way to show my thanks is to become a supporting member, which I plan on doing right after the holidays.

2. It is a great site, vegaas. I too have learned much from it, so I'd like to add my thanks to everyone here for making Talkbass what it is. Of course, honorable mention goes to Paul for making it happen.

3. You would be amazed at what you can learn from this site. Everything from why carrots are good to the exactly how a pickup works, using as many long words as possible.

Ahh, a $20 well spent. Now I have a cool monkey under my name!!:D

Rock on
    Eric

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    i been here for nearly two years...the day i decided to play bass i went to yahoo.com and searched for bass tabs....who would have though that i would have found a place to air my thoughts, let off steam, brag, and most of all, to learn..ever since i been here i have found a good source too prove to my freinds, i know more about the music life than them...:D thanks all you guys;)

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    One major thing I have learned from this site is how much I really didn't know. Of course, now I know everything.:D

Seriously, though, I have learned a whole lot in my time here. Probably one of the most helpful tools, aside from practice, for me in my bass playing.