Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A humble finish repair question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jduke, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Greetings,

I recently bought a closeout bass on the net. Nice looking and plays well but has a small chip out of the finish where the bottom strap button attaches (dark red to black finished alder body). :(

What would be the easiest repair? Touch-up? :help:

Thanks.
    jduke.

2. Get some matching fingernail polish - read the label and look for "polyester" and/or "nitrocellulose" in that really small type :D This will work great and you can keep the bottle in your gig bag for later. I always have black and clear on hand and that covers my own basses pretty well. I just did a touchup that was the better part of 1/2" square on the end of the neck extension. I just flowed the black in and made sure to let it pile against the edges to seal them up. After two coats flowing in the black, I did two more with the clear. Remember that the polish has much more volume wet than it does dry. A small divot in the body can have a large drop left on it to dry and when you come back it will be level with the surface. This is how you build up the layers. It's possible with some patience to actually do a real spot repair by sanding and polishing the area if you want to put the time into it. I prefer to just keep the chip from getting bigger and the color the same.

3. Hi Hambone,

Thanks, just the kind of info I was looking for. :cool:

jduke.

4. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    When this happened next to the bridge of my Lake Placid Blue bass... I freaked. Some guy was drunk and bumped me into a table... I sealed it with clear nail polish to prevent it from spreading.

I got this recommendation from Sadowsky Guitars.