Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A humbucking question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Coward Of Reali, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    What kind of sound would I get if I put a humbucker (Something like whats on a gibson eb-3? Maybe not exactly that kind but one of those big fat ones) in my p-bass pickup cavity?
    I want something that will give it a heavier sound and a some bite you know? Something for the hard stuff.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

3. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Yep, the Dark Stars are probably your best bet in a humbucker with possibly an Alnico 5 Musicman as a second choice. If you locate it in the standard P-Bass location I think that should give a good mix of thump and punch.

4. Dark Stars are not humbuckers...they are single coil...

apparently they sound AWESOME...but they're not humbuckers...

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think Coward (can I call you Coward ? :)) is looking for a big chunky pickup rather than humbucking capabilities.

6. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Sorry, stuck my foot in my mouth on that one .... :crying:

Dark Stars are indeed single coil Hagstrom reincarnations ....

7. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Didnt Berry Oakley put a humbucker on his p-bass (Or was it a jazz bass) and his tone is awesome.
    ANyone know what humbucker he used?

8. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    you know, I was going to eventually buy an ibanez artcore and Dark Star Pickups to install. But maybe the Dark star with the precison would be better (and cheaper)?

9. are you kidding me...is THAT ever an understatement... I think a dark star in a precision would be PHENOMENAL!

If you're REALLY keen, you should get the Dark Star AND tune your precision BEAD! :hyper: :hyper:

10. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
    on the subject of humbuckers, what are the differences in sound with quad coil, dual coil, and split coil humbuckers and which are suited to slap, motown, metal etc.?

11. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    I have dimarzio split p humbuckers in my p bass. they are each a humbucer and fight right in a normal precision cavity. go to dimarzio.com and check them out. They are extremely versataile and can be thumpy and have a lot of sustain. They bring out te details in your style.