A Hypothetical Beatles Tribute Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by nemo137, Aug 15, 2001.

1. i've been wondering about this one for a while, if Fat or Epithaph or some other punk label put out a Beatles tribute album, who would be on it and which songs would they be doing?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Great question!

Hypothetical or not, this thread still belongs in Recordings...
  3. MFATGG did "all my loving" on their latest album, which you all need to purchase.

that's Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

of course.
  4. That is a cool question!
    Think the Red Hot Chili Peppers could do an awesome version of 'Come Together'.
    I dont really know about much punk, maybe Offspring could do 'Day Tripper'.
    I'd like to see Radiohead do 'Lucy In The Sky' or 'The Long And Winding Road'.
  5. i was really thinking blink-182 doing 'hard day's night' or weezer doing 'you've got to hide your love away'
  6. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    That'd be a great album. I'd hope they'd include Johnny Skilsaw's cover of 'I Am The Walrus', it absolutely cranks.

It'd be interesting to hear a bunch of punked up covers of the Beatles' earliest stuff (like the Mersey days, back when they were making their name at the Cavern Club)... their later works have been covered pretty well already.

7. also, fiona apple's "across the universe" and dream theater's "happiness is a warm gun" are great.
  8. seince it is hypothetical... you could take the metal aproach... with godhead doing elenor rigby (witch is really good) and manson doing come together. (not that great, but hey) ... just hypothetical. :D
  9. I know im gonna get flamed for this one....
    Has anyone listened to Micheal Jackson's 'Come Together'? I dont mind it.
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Marcus Miller plays "Come Together" on his Tales album.

I was at a music store yesterday and saw an album called "Beatle Jazz". It's a jazz trio covering some Beatles songs. I really liked the way they played "Let It Be".

Of course none of this is punk but oh well....
  11. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    There is a blurb in today's LA Times Calendar about two Paul McCartney tribute albums coming out in October: no titles, but artists listed in the article are Robyn Hitchcock, They Might be Giants, Semisonic, World Party and Tim and Neil Finn. The second album mentions Cockeyed Host, the Andersons and Starbelly.

I would like to see Rancid cover Maxwell's Silver Hammer.
  12. Punk?

Didn't MXPX do a cover of "I saw her standing there"?:eek:

I would love to see pennywise do a cover of "Helter Skelter" double :eek: !!!!
  13. i probably should have made it "misc. beatles tribute album" so as to have a broader catagory.