A interesting audition

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Twobass, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    A BL contacted me a week ago through a website to find musicians. So we texted back and forth and I told him I was interested in the music his band is doing, it's covers. He didn't really tell me any songs to learn but I did learn about 5 from his list. Then out of nowhere he wants me to audition/practice in like 2 days. I told him that I would like a little more time to learn the material but I agreed to go to the audition. I thought I did okay at the audition and they said they would send 5 or 6 songs for me to learn for next week.
    So they don't send anything and I haven't even heard from the BL since then. Now I have no problem with not getting a gig but I would like them to tell me that I didn't get it, so far nothing.

I guess my main issue is that I probably shouldn't have agreed to play on such short notice and they had me singing a little bit, which I wasn't prepared for.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i hope this guy has just been remiss and that it all works out! ;)

i have friends, relatives, associates, etc., who don't respond sometimes --- even when i ask for confirmation of receipt. when some folks feel like they have everything 'under control' they don't bother being considerate.

me? i'd communicate (text/email/phone call/message: all of them!) and ask for a plan. in the meantime i'd move on with my thinking --- i'd create my own plan that doesn't include waiting around for this particular 'someone' else.

good luck! :thumbsup:

3. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    Thanks that's what I'm doing.

JRA likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah this one's easy. (Or at least the next step is.)

Text: "Hey great working with you guys the other day. Don't forget to send me those other songs so I have time to prep."

Done. Then the ball is in his court and you can relax.

5. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    Yes I'll do that, thanks.

6. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Two Fingers advice is good. However, on the flip side, I wouldn't send anything most likely. It sounds like they aren't interested (I mean no disrespect to you at all) and are just taking the easy way out by not messaging you. However, even if they ARE interested, it sounds like their communication skills leave a lot to be desired. Would you really want to be in a band who communicates (if you can even say that) in such a manner? Not to mention them wanting you to audition on short notice. Lots of red flags there. I'd consider it a bullet dodged and move on.

7. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    Yes I think you're right, they aren't interested and I'm ok with that and I did notice some red flags as well. The BL seems like a micro manager as well. I'll just chalk this up to a learning experience.

4SG, DrThumpenstein, DirtDog and 3 others like this.
  8. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    If you end up in this band, just be ready to deal with this kind of (non)communication from here on out.

tshapiro, rockdoc11, mrcbass and 4 others like this.
  9. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    Yea I don't think that will happen lol.

Tanner5382 and kesslari like this.
  10. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Same. If they never got back to me then they either don't want me or just don't want a bass player at all bad enough.

tshapiro, Twobass and Tanner5382 like this.
  11. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Relax, it's only been five days.

12. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I tend to assume if I don't hear from people that there's a reason for that. So I would take JRA's advice. If they want you to come back, they will contact you, but I wouldn't wait for that to happen. Perhaps the best scenario would be for you to be able to say, "thanks, but I've already found something else" if that happens.

If they wanted you at your best, they should have given you more time to learn the material. It's their loss due to disorganization. That's kind of a red flag right there, IMO.

Best of luck to you, the right opportunity is out there.

13. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    Ok

14. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    "Don't call us; we'll call you" is my expectation in show biz. My last audition was a no call like this. Calling the BL or mgr to inquire can't hurt (worst they can day is "no," and they have already done that effectively).

Another note: sounds like you don't like how they roll anyway, so consider you may have dodged a bullet.

15. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    If I'm tracking my math on this right, I would expect that this guy is only ever gonna give you 1-2 days to prepare for everything. That's not unworkable, or even terribly uncommon, just set your expectations accordingly.

Twobass likes this.
  16. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    In today's technological society, you never know what could have happened. I'd just shoot a text to say that you enjoyed the audition, and in the event they chose to go a different direction you appreciated the chance to show what you could do. and if an opportunity arises in the future, you 'd be interested in hearing from them.

Doing nothing slams a door, a simple reply leaves the door cracked and unlocked. When I did hiring for a business this type of reply could gain a call back down the road.

17. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I'd like to second this. A situation of this sort calls from some sort of communication on your part, if only because crossed wires may have them thinking you are AWOL. In that case they might spread the misapprehension that you're a flake, thus earning an unwarranted ding against your reputation.

Reach out, succinctly but clearly. Yeah, it's probable they're just not that into you, but professionalism demands that you close that loop.

18. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    A band worth joining does not audition this way.

So many red flags!

Run screaming.

tshapiro, Twobass and LBS-bass like this.
  19. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Agreed. There's nothing professional about this, so I sure wouldn't be worried about what some folks here think is owed as if this is some sort of professional situation where your reputation is at stake. I mean, sure, text if you want to but I wouldn't feel like I owed this bunch any sort of extra courtesy at this point. People who want you back will call you back.

tshapiro, Alik and Twobass like this.
  20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah as mentioned above, there could be dozens of reasons why you haven't been called/texted. Some of those reason could be legit.

Doing nothing just makes you wonder. But a simple text is not out of line and will get you your answer for sure.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022