1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

A.Jakstadt Bass 1994 #14

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Edgardo, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Edgardo

Apr 4, 2002
    Near NYC
    This is a beautiful hand-made bass by Albert Jakstadt of Cincinati in 1994. Built with excellent materials throughout. 7/8 size with a 41 7/8" string length. Flat back, gamba corners, Sloan gears, spring-loaded end pin. In addition this bass has a C-extension and a VERY nice fingerboard and bridge set-up by Arnold Snitzer and an early opus number (#14) with prime craftmanship. Deep sound and good projection with easy response. Highly flamed maple on back and sides. Great for orchestra. Played in the New Jersey Symphony. Excellent condition. Mooradian bag available - will negotiate for bag. Will e-mail pictures on request. And the price...same as for a new Jakstadt $16,500.

Contact Steve McIntyre at mcstyre@mindspring.com
  2. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    COuld you send me some pictures?

Also, can you tell me a little about how this bass would compare to getting a new one, I've kind of thought about doing that as well. Are you pretty familiar with other basses made by Mr Jakstadt?

Also, can you tell me a little about the set up Mr. Schnitzer has done for you, I'm sure it is marvelous, because he sounds so intelligent, but is it an orchestral set up? adjustable bridge?

Did he replace the fingerboard?

you know, little things like that.

3. Edgardo

Apr 4, 2002
    Near NYC
    When I got the bass the fingerboard had been dressed or gouged out quite deeply in the 1st to 2nd position making the relative string height quite uncomfortable. The board was too thin to dress properly so Arnold and I agreed to replace it. When the board was off he reinforced the neck with a graphite rod. The work on the Fboard from end to end is very gradual. He takes a great deal of time and care over it. The set up is primarily for arco because most of my work is classical but the arch in the bridge is not exaggerated. The bridge/sound post is Arnold's and has the original maple adjusters. After the work was done the bass put out more sound. It was a noticeable improvement. Arnold's work is highly esteemed in the NYC area.
    I've seen and played one other Jakstadt made about 3 years ago (a much higher number) and I didn't think it was as nice as mine,both sound and woodworking. I think the new ones do not come with an extension, that's extra.

This is an excellent orchestral bass. Works great with Pirastro original flexocor. I'll email you pictures.