1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Jazz Bass in Progress

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Phil Mailloux, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    I started this Jazz Bass some time ago, here's some pics of the build.

The body is Swamp Ash, fingerboard is Cocobolo Rosewood. The bridge is an Hipshot vintage style, it has Ultralite tuners and will have a set of my own handmade Jazz pickups with an Aguilar 2-band preamp. The body will be finished in Mary Kaye white and have a tortoise pickguard.

Just for the hell of it, I thought it would look cool to check it out with a pickguard and plate :)

I spent a good amount of time designing a headstock and logo I liked last year during my CAD courses. I'm pretty happy with the result.

Here's more work, the Maple neck blank, fingerboard and truss rod.

Rod rout done.

and the neck and fingerboard gluing.

Neck being built.

Body being built

005013r.

006002r.
    006006r.

This is where I'm at at the moment. I just couldn't resist putting it together as a mock-up :D

006019r.

2. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    wow! I would love to see it in aged natural finish or burgundy mist, or sonic blue, or ......

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Nice Phil... I like the Vibe.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Oh man thats looking good.

5. very cool! did you use J bass templates or made your own?

6. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks guys :)

I made my own but used Stewmac pickup routing templates. These things confuse me, they're made exactly at the size you need the rout to be. I don't know about you guys but the smallest follower bit I've ever seen is 3/8" diameter, yet the corners of the pickup is 1/8" radius, so how exactly are you supposed to rout that??

I've got a feeling I'll have to make an oversized template next time and use a 1/4" diameter bit with a bushing on the router to get the right corners.

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    You know what I do,
    I use 7/8" particle board (chip board), with a 1/4" bit, no bearing. I just use the depth of the 7/8" thick template, to allow the shaft to follow the template. But I guess it's much easier to make soap bar templates than P or Jazz ones. Works extremely well for me.

8. I used the stewmac templates for a bass that had bartolini 9Js and the corners were not a problem. I used a 1/2" diam bit.

9. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Their P template threw me for a curve at first; same thing. I found a Freud 1/8" bit and used the idear of Jason with a 1/4" masonite template.

10. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    i had the same problem with the stew mac templates, but it only took a moment of sanding and filing(on the bass, not the template) to get the corners right.

looks great btw...

11. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    For this one I had to use a 1/4" bit and freehand some cuts in the corners and then sand the corners down. It was very fiddly though and too long in my opinion. I might try that next time with a straight bit and a much thicker template.

12. nice and good choice on the hardware! ;)

13. Yep - like Jason I use a 1/4" diameter bit and run the shaft against the template.

I've always liked the Jazz shape - MK white + tortise + cocobolo will look very nice!

14. Very nice looking job! This is going to be sweet, man :)

15. Swever

Swever

Nov 13, 2008
    Joensuu, Finland
    Very nice! Love the headstock shape.

16. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Phil..your build looks great man. Awesome. Will this one be yours or a customer's?

17. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    For a customer.... as soon as I sell it :D

I'm hurrying up on that build as I'm going to a Guitar Show in 4 weeks and need a couple of finished instruments to show. As of now I've got no finished instruments shifty.

18. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Looks awesome so far, really looking forward to seeing more of the progress.

Own pickups, you say? Did you go with single-coils, stack-coils or split-coils for this one?

19. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I *was* going for modern sounding overwound single coils but changed my plans as I don't have enough time to wind a lot of pickups before the show. So I ended up ordering Nordstrand vintage Jazz pickups and that Jazz will end up being passive after all. :)

20. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Phil that is no excuse for not post any pic in such long time :mad:

;)