A Jazzmaster VI Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BOSS302BASS, Apr 18, 2012.

1. BOSS302BASS

BOSS302BASS

Sep 27, 2008
    Devon UK
    Just thought I'd share this recent bass I built, with help from Matt Landry in Washington who carved the body from reclaimed pine from a 150 year old barn that was demolished near his house. Neck was supplied by USACG - a 30" Bass VI neck.
    Pickups by Ben Lindsey of Crystal Clear Pickups in Michigan handwound to 59 JM specs. I used 250K pots and 0.05 PIO cap.
    I did the burst in nitro...
    6930915238_2b2aa01bab_b.jpg

7082890579_ed83d85620_b.jpg

The guard came from a 59 JM, red tinted aluminum tape over the bridge cutouts might have to change LOL...
    Susan Wise of Just Pinups and a Little Bit More did all the waterslide decals for me - there's a Georgia Peach pinup girl peaking thru the burst on the arm roll-off...
    Ben's pickups are really sweet, and very creamy!

2. Wicked man! What are the strings on that like?? Are they bass or guitar or what? It's always confused me.

3. BOSS302BASS

BOSS302BASS

Sep 27, 2008
    Devon UK
    They are D'Addario XL 156's. They are made for Bass VI's - 24-84 gauge for 30" scale, which on paper you think they would be pretty light on, but they still produce pretty thumping bottom end - the bass sounds a lot like a P Bass but you can strum it without freaking out your amp. I use it in my 3 piece band and it does sound rather awesome, and is so great for picking and the trem works perfect.I switch between the bridge and the two pickups, it's not wired for the "rhythm circuit" which for a bass is a little pointless...

4. ****bassgasm****

5. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I like the headstock alot makes for fresh change from fender knockoff fonts, looks like it fits!

6. BOSS302BASS

BOSS302BASS

Sep 27, 2008
    Devon UK
    Thank you sir!
    I realized when I started building Fenderish recreations that there was no point trying to re-stylize an F logo...
    I like the Flying Tigers shark mouth....it does seem to fit.

7. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Apart from those pink bits, this thing is just fantastic. Great job! Would love to hear how it sounds.

8. BOSS302BASS

BOSS302BASS

Sep 27, 2008
    Devon UK
    Will be posting soundclip vid to Youtube next week...just gotta unpack and figure out how to use the Zoom Q3HD unit I got from GC LA last week...