1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A just had an interesting customization idea.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tupac, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    What if you were to put the Stingray Pup on a Jazz bass? The lightening J neck and playability combined with the roar of a Ray. Does this sound like a good idea? Would the thing sound exactly like a Ray, or would the bass change the sound?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

3. You'd need the Stingray pre to get the Stingray sound.

4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
  5. Hi there,

if the materials of body and neck are the same, and you use the active MusicMan electronics, it will sound close to a sting ray. Only close, because you need that special bridge, which is making the sound, too.

There are a lot of basses on the market, with a MM pup at bridge and a jazz bass pup at neck and active electronics. Try them, you will hear if it's ok.

Greetz

edit PS: I don't think it would look ugly.

6. lakland-skyline-44-02.

remember: when you think you came up with something valid, 99 out of 100 somebody already realized it!!!

:meh:

7. WORD!!!!!!

Question: i forgot the name of the company making those basses in you pic, what is it?

Greetz

8. Lakland.

9. A J/MM is often a standard option on some Carvin basses. Others can be ordered with an MM instead of a J at the bridge. But on both Carvins and Laklands the pickup is not at the same position as the MM...

Mine:
    IMG_1520.