Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a key in A or a Key in C question?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bluez Dawg, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Ok I have a question for keys here it goes.

If my leader yells out A key in C and I play the bass, would that still be using the D string? or would it be the A string and using the root nite C to start or end with?

2. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I'm assuming that you mean "Key of C"... or just playing it "in C".

If so, yes, the root is C. You can certainly play it on the D string if you fancy the 10th fret.

As far as someone yelling out literally, "A key in C!"... I'd be clueless and just have to figure out the key on my own...

Perhaps with more information I or others here might be able to give you a more indepth answer.

3. Thanks thats what I thought.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What string you use, has no relation to what key you're playing in....!!:meh:

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    His bass only has nine frets ;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My DB and EUB have no frets at all, between the two of them!! ;)

Let me see (mumbles incoherently)...one string per key....now I understand why they need those ERBs.....:p

7. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Finally! A justification for a 12 string bass!

8. Ok thanks Dk, I will remeber that.

9. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I don't know that I've heard anyone call out using that language, there has to be something missing.

For example, if he's saying A in the key of C then he would be implying that the A is a minor. I don't know a band leader who'd call it that way though. Around here, it would be "6 in C" or, we'd establish the key before the song and he'd simply call the number, "go to the 6" or "6!!"

10. Actaully watch the scene from the blues brothers movie called Bobs Country bunker, Jake calls a in A minor, he said it to the entire band, but thats the only time I ever saw some one doing that.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Um, what? I'm sorry, but most people in that situation would simply say "A minor." A minor and the sixth of C are the same thing.

12. Ok thank you everyone.