1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A kickass SQUIER?!?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by songwriter21, Oct 4, 2008.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Yeah, I know-that's something you don't hear every day.

Ok, now I know that mentioning I work at Guitar Center doesn't warrant a lot of fanbase here, but we just received a shipment of some new Squier Classic Vibe basses in yesterday. The 50's P was pretty decent, but the Jazz...holy s**t!

The thing looks as nice as the American Standards, but maybe nicer, with the tint on the neck and all. The playability and sound are really spectacular, and again, on a Squier. The thing that impressed me the most was the construction, which is definitely better than the Am Standards-now that's f 'ed up. These are made in China, people.

There are no gaps at the neck pocket, the single-coil poles line up almost perfectly with the strings, and the neck/fingerboard is the stand-out here. The neck is dead-on flat, with maybe a slightly high 10th fret and the playability is awesome. The action is nice and low (and I like LOW action) with NO BUZZ-yes, you heard that correct. I couldn't believe it-it must be a fluke or something. About the only thing I noticed was a little open string buzz on the A and D strings.

I was imagining what this bass would sound like with some Bassline pickups and if I really wanted to mod this, something like a J-Retro 3-band...damn.

The price is a steal for how nice this thing is, as I'm very tempted to grab it up (hopefully the salesguys didn't see it yet). I'm in Operations, so I receive stuff in and then the salesguys see it.

I HAVE GAS FOR A SQUIER!

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Make sure to check the neck. The only complaint I have heard about these new Squiers.

For some reason about 5-10% have neck issues from the factory you would never know until you try and adjust the neck.

My local dealer has to send back a few every month.

3. Gramtron

Gramtron

Mar 11, 2007
    Loveland,CO
    yeah that '55 p is next on my list, nice chunky neck and all

4. Well I have the fretless jazz model which has been giving me problems from day one. Buzzing like crazy! I'd get rid of it but my wife bought it as a birthday gift. She thought she was getting me something nice since I told her I wanted a fretless Michael Kelly Dragonfly. LOL. Well, her heart was in the right place I guess.

5. DudeWheresMy182

DudeWheresMy182

Jun 23, 2004
    Milwaukee
    alrightttttt another guy in Operations!!! haha. We got one in too, and it is stellar!!!!!! I WANT ONE NOW!!! i already have a couple jazzes, but i might just need another!

6. I purchased one last week (60s jazz), and I love it. You can't the bang for the buck!

7. I'm not going to get into the Fender vs. Squier argument...

but too many people have too many preconceived notions about basses...

basses are like apples...there are bad ones in every bunch...and there are good ones in most every bunch, as well...

I have a beautiful playing/sounding squier...it doesn't have any playing issues, is set up quite nicely and sounds pretty darn sweet...

yes, it could be better...but it is easily the best bass I own for what I want it to do...

I have played many Fenders that didn't perform as well as my Squier...I have also played a few that could probably blow it away..

If I had the budget, I might own one of the better Fenders I tried (AND keep the Squier, of course ;) )

8. I wonder if there is lead in the paint. :)

I have 2 Squiers, They are both gigable

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I got to see one last week at my local GC a white classic vibe jazz and for looks and construction all i can say is WOW:eek: It was very nice for the price. Although i didnt play it i heard they sound great.

I am am interested in the tele model but they have not recieved one yet. For the money they look awsome for sure. I hope the neck issues pass quick.

10. Well I have owned two of the Vintage Modified Squires now. The P was awesome until the electronics fried two hours into playing it.

I just got one of the Tele P's today as part of a trade and I am blown away. Beats 90% of the Fenders I've played. Time will tell if it holds up! Feels rock solid though.

11. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I got a "used" (it needed a setup, that's the only difference between it and the new one there) VM P bass a few weeks ago for 150. I got it home adjusted the neck over a few days, set up the action, and it is now beautiful. Definitely the best bang for the buck I have ever gotten on any music equipment.