Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A "korny" challenge

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Antipop, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Well as some of us like to poke fun at the odd time how "amazing" Korn is when it comes to bass... I'd like to hear what other people would play in his shoes. If anyone can get friends or their band to cover a korn song or two and only rewrite the bass line (everything else at the same tempo) I'd like to see what we can come up with here

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the really detuned and low rhythm guitar plays too much of a bassline ish role to do anything marvelous and cut through..

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think Fieldy is perfect for Korn. If I were to cover a Korn song, I'd probably leave the bassline as it is. Unless I am changing the song so much you wouldn't recognize it anyway.

5. Put Ryan Martinie in korn.

Problem solved. (in before the close)

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I like fieldy. I find him to be rather groovy. (Got the Life, Freak on a Leash)

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    It's odd, because there's some stuff that he just kills on, and then there's most stuff that's just junk. Like I dug the **** out of the first album, because even if the playing wasn't that great, it had a lot of guts and teeth to it, and I liked that. It's like the more recent you get in their catalog, the more it feels like they're just trying to fulfill their contract.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think fieldy is very good at what he does, although it's more of a percussion role than that of a bassist. he and the drummer are very tight together, live and on recording, he's probably one of the better bassists in the genre.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Piccolo bass or acoustic bass :D Just kidding.

I wouldn't change anything, his playing fits their style, and honestly there is probably very little chance of him cutting through two seven-strings any other way.

He is probably cuts through the best out of the entire genre.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've auditioned for and spent many hours playing with (fill ins, scabbing) for nu-metal bands, and frankly, a smooth finger line or sharp pick attack just doesn't work. Feildy has something going for him.

Hey, he's filthy rich, can't be all wrong.

11. I only bash him when It comes to basic riffs and lines. But that's the band itself, I hate Korn. However, how many bassists have that..."technique" (?) that he has? Too percussive, it's strange, and I'm rambling. I'd leave it as is.

12. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I think he gets bashed more for his tone that his bass lines.

13. this has become somewhat of a Fieldy appreciation thread... in an odd kooky way

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I like his tone. It fits the band perfectly. I think people bash his tone because it's different. I don't think Korn would be Korn with out that clickety clack.

He doesn't use that tone all the time either. He's got some stuff that has a dub/reggae sort of tone, and some other stuff with some interesting distortion/effects. Pretty cool, methinks.

I read in EQ magazine that he uses about 4 mics on his cabs, including a SM57 on the horn! The producer said that Fieldy has a very specific sound in his head, and knows how to translate that to the engineer/producer. He takes charge of his own tone in the studio; I like that. Most bands go into a studio and let the producer change them completely; Korn come out still sounding like Korn. I think that's respectable.

15. I must admit, I first became addicted to bass after hearing 'Got the Life'. I also agree with the sentiments expressed - playing in Korn is not easy but Fieldy has done a pretty good job. The percussive sound works really well with the detuned guitars, IMHO. How else would you even hear the bass?

Leigh

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

There are much worse bassists to pick on for their basslines :p.

17. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Definitely.

I don't like KoRn nearly as much as I used to, but Fieldy certainly fits their style of music well, better than most similar genre bands. Outside of Korn I can't stand the tone at all, but it fits well with their music. He clicks (no pun intended) well with the drummer (who I think is a great drummer) and it goes well with the guitars.

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Fieldy and Korn's drummer are a match made in Heaven or something. That drummer always has a nice samba/latin beat to add to the songs, but can also throw down the 16th note double bass stuff too. He's great.

19. A real challenge would be to see who can best nail the Fieldy tone. It's been discussed and anyone can do it... but who can do it the best? :D

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Runs out to car, and speeds to Mobro to buy a K5, stainless steel strings, and the How to Braid Hair: Dreadlocks through Corn Rows instructional guide; only to realize that Mobro doesn't open for another nine hours. :D