1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A lack of detail and topic exploration?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kwesi, May 21, 2011.

1. I've noticed that outside of OT, TBers don't seem to be big on explaining things or "talking around the subject." I see a lot of thread responses with little to no justification or exploration into why they've come to the decision they have or the particulars of what made them come to that decision. I'm sure you have seen the many "Just do this"-style answers all over the forums but it just now hit me how regularly posts like that comes up. Maybe, I just want to see a lot of words but do some of you feel the same way?

I've also noticed that none of the veteran or particularly well known TBers make posts like these, or if they do, it's done very sparsely. That doesn't have much to do with this topic but it's an interesting observation I've made.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I thought this was a thread about Jaquo-iiix's threads.

3. Sneezing while laughing is not fun. Damn you allergies :atoz:

4. Blort

Blort Banned

Apr 23, 2011
    Detroit, Michigan
    OT here has went way downhill from how it was years ago as well.

I thought the censorship and policing of the boards was bad back then, it's gotten even worse.

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I find this reply lacking in detail.

You could have gone into why you found Latimour's post funny,....

You could have mentioned what you are allergic to.

You could have explained the story of why that smiley is called ah-toz,....or is it A-to-Z? ;)

In all seriousness,....especially in the gear forums or if I'm posting an ad to the Classies (need to re-up the membership) or to CL; I try to think of every question someone could possibly ask about a diatribe I may post and try to answer it before they ask. Sometimes that turns into a wall of text.

If I need to quickly post something,....I'll keep it simple and banter back and forth (which I think is more fun).

If I'm in OT,...I'm just here to troll.

6. ...That kinda has nothing to do with the topic at hand :rolleyes:.

7. Blort

Blort Banned

Apr 23, 2011
    Detroit, Michigan
    I guess you're right. I was just assuming it was an overall discussion of the quality of the boards in general.

For the most part, my past experiences in other non-OT related forums have been positive. One can learn a lot about bass guitar or music in general by just browsing though.

On a side note, I did find it annoying when I would start a thread here in OT, and as the thread got hot, the mods would move it to a serious discussion forum that was only accessable by paying members. Not being able to partipate in your own thread was annoying. I complained, but nobody listened.

8. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    See,...too much detail,...no banter.

9. Hipster poster liked the board before it went mainstream.

10. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    That's the reason I don't visit other forums.I used to love reading stuff on the bassists forum for example.Some one who doesn't like a bassist or never heard any records of the bassist can come out and say "this bassist is teh suk" and people go crazy from then on.I just can't take it any more.
    [Murtaugh]

I guess I'm getting too old for that ****.

[/Murtaugh]

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

We listened. We just didn't agree.

12. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    That could be the punchline for a movie beign said by one of the best actors.

13. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yeah I've seen this too. Not only on TB but other forums as well. I'm not sure why that is. I'm thinking that it's partially ego - you know, where a thread will be about Gibson basses let say, then you'll always get the fool who posts "Gibsons suck" or something like that as though his/her opinion really matters...?
    If the post at least contained an explanation and wasn't so arrogant and troll-like I'm sure more folks would actually listen to it.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    It could also be on account of people seeing the same thread before or a similar thread and they just don't have the time to express an opinion or advice on a topic that they've already addressed in another thread. I try to take each thread as it comes but sometimes I just don't have time to give a full response or explanation of an opinion. Part of the reason I don't 'hang' in the other areas is because I've seen most of the threads before, or as in the case with the fx forum I get serious GAS and end up making a purchase of gear I can't afford at the time of the purchase.

15. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Or tagline:

Coming this summer, the tale of a group of men, their lives pledged to the defense and upkeep of the TBOT rules and regulations, are fighting back. They listened. And they didn't agree.
    MODS - coming to a theatre near you.

16. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    HAHAHA I can hear that from the voice of tagline guy's voice.(What was his name? hmm)

Than dramatic music starts and Pacman,JT and all others walk in slow-mo.A guy says "Jaco is teh suk" and Pacman smashes him in the head with Hammer Of Justice spraying lightning all over the place.

17. I'm right there with ya man.

Actually, that's a goof point too. It seems to me that a lot of people don't want to "talk" at all. They just throw out a snippet of an opinion and move on. And then you get pages of nearly one word answers and altogether a very boring thread.

18. Blort

Blort Banned

Apr 23, 2011
    Detroit, Michigan
    But couldn't you allow the person who started the thread to at least participate in it?

19. Please don't get my thread shut down, lol. Challenging mods = fastest train to ban-town.

20. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Honestly, when threads get moved to the sub-forum they go to hell and often only last a day or two. Don't worry about it that much, or if you are worried then pay for a membership. They are more than worth it.