1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a lackluster frontline....suggestions?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jomahu, Sep 15, 2008.

1. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    hopefully some of you rock stars can help me out. :)
    i play in an 8-piece band. stage setup is simple - rhythm section in back, singers, horns, percussion in front.

now, the backline is used to just looking at each other and grooving. we've gotten feedback about that - apparently, people like that we actually laugh and interact with each other on stage. we look fun! :hyper:

frontline...well, i was really checking them out over the past few gigs, and they're really....blah. they stare at the ground, kinda look around, don't interact with the audience....you know?
    it's a weird dynamic since the percussion player is the leader, and has that role of talking to the crowd and getting them hyped. but, i dunno, it always LOOKS as if the frontline is phoning it in. musically, they're awesome...when they're ready.

we've tried talking about the feedback we get from the crowd, we've tried videotaping our gigs so they can see how terrible it looks. nothing.

suggestions? no firing, please. we can't afford to do that right now.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Let's see, talking about it didn't help, video taping didn't help.
    mmm......what to do?

You're trying to make people do something that's not normal to them. Unless you're the prison warden, a 5 star general, their employer, the local police cheif or the president, you really can't make people do anything they don't want to. If there's no consequence(no firing) for not doing something and these members don't do things "for the good of the band", you can usually forget about changing people.

Maybe the band can vote on it and if the vote goes towards improving the front line stage presence, maybe some of the members can work out some choreography, between song banter, etc.

Now, if all the front line members vote against improving their stage presence, even it the majority vote for it, you'll know where they stand on the issue.

Since the percussionist is the "leader", what does he have to say on this issue? If he's not on your side, might as well suck it up and just be glad you're playing gigs and let it go at that.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Fire a gun at their feet and holler "dance, varmints!"