1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Lakland 55-01 with DR Long Neck strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jim Carr, May 10, 2010.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    As most Lakland owners know by now, Lakland has stopped making their GHS-built strings readily available, though they will return repackaged, according to the Lakland Owners Group blog.

Meanwhile, I have found that DR Long Necks (TMR5-45) can be used strung through the body of my 35" scale 55-01 Lakland Skyline 5er. However, I paid over $40 for a set at my local GC. Ouch.

Like the Lakland/GHS strings, the bridge ends are tapered--the merits of which I cannot debate--but the amount of taper is better-suited to string-through bodies, and the length of the strings works well with 35" scale necks. I trimmed an average of 2.5 inches from each string, and still had 4 or 5 wraps on my tuner axles. There are no silk wraps.

In addition, the gauge works well, though the low B is .125, whereas the Lakland/GHS medium gauge B is .128.

I am not sure why, but these strings feel more flexible, and are easier for me to slap. I like them. They are apparently DR Lo Riders, but longer. Can anyone elaborate or correct this notion? :cool:

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I don't know about the DR Long Necks, but I never had any trouble stringing my 55-01 through the body with the regular DR 5 string sets.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Good to know that. I have used Lakland strings exclusively for the last 7 years.
    Now I'm free...yes, Yes I'm FREE I tell you!!! :hyper: :hyper: :D