1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Lakland DJ4 "AC" review of sorts.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vinestreet, Sep 29, 2008.

1. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    The Lakland DJ4 "Adam Clayton".....It's finally here! :hyper:

I've spent the last 2 hours playing with it and the amp, trying to get in a nice rock and jazz tone. While I'm still working on it, the DJ4's sound has been great so far (by trial and error, managed to dial in a 'Wild Nights' Meshell tone...Bonus!). :bassist:

Anyway this thread is not about the DJ4 tone as that has been well covered already, and I'm still dialing and tweaking and messing around with it. I'll talk a bit about the frivolous, flossy-flossy things about the DJ4 "AC" instead. :D

Condition-wise, the bass was in pristine shape.
    Only had a couple of greasy spots on the pickups, but nothing that a quick wipe with a clean cloth couldn't fix.
    More importantly, Zero scraches, Zero fingerprints, Zero chips, swirls and what nots. Already nice and glossy but I like it "piano-style" so I'll be attacking it with polish over the next week.

Build-wise, couldn't be happier. It feels as heavy as an M-16 so guesstimating 3.9kg or 8.5+lbs. I'm okay this weight.
    "Edit: An accurate measurement says 4kg exactly or 8.82lbs. Looks like guesstimation and 2.5years in the army counted for something :smug:"

Frets all nicely dressed. Neck is a beaut! What I call a Satin wood feeling - fast.
    No funny disjoints or gaps anywhere that I could see. Everything fits, and fits tightly.
    Action is nice and low, No buzz, still haven't found a dead spot (yet). Very impressed that after 2 hours of mucking around with it, I know that I don't have to set it up. I'm comfortable as it is now.

Now, I'm not in the States, but in Singapore. So this bass had to do a bit of a Gulliver over the last 8 days with a couple of flights, truck rides, time-zones, temperature and humidity changes thrown in. And this is what impressed the missus - the DJ4 was playable out-of-the-box AND it was already in tune when I checked with my chromatic tuner. Is this usual? I only know that it has never happened to me before.

Aesthetically, I'm generally happy with how everything looks together. My only "hmmm" came from the wood grain. A personal preference, not my preferred pattern but it doesn't really bug me and I'm sure it'll grow on me.
    The black blocks...they look great but I have no idea what they are. :confused:
    Definitely not mother-of-pearl. I'm guessing father-of-plastic or more likely daughter-of-paint as on some blocks i could swear that I see some wood grain. Black mother-o-pearl would have been nice but like no black binding, no biggie. (And it won't be a DJ4 "AC" then).

Packing - I know that there are some brethren in Europe etc who are waiting for their own "AC"s to be delivered so I'm going to talk about the shipping packing for their info.
    The bass was shipped directly from Lakland in Chicago so it was factory packaging. A big rectangular carton over a half-coffin shaped carton stabilised in between by carton inserts and reinforced on the outsides with scotch tape.
    I've included a number of photos below. I myself was terrified that UPS and then later DHL would kill it. One of them managed to pierce a hole in the outer carton anyway but the inner carton was not violated.

Okay, here are the pics and then I'm back to playing even though it's already 1:04am. :)

Edit: It's 2:30am, found my tones and I'm very very very MacLovin' it!

4hpbiv.
    The outer shipping box.

2u60nbc.
    The inner and outer shipping boxes with carton inserts et al.

2zzq97r.
    Contents of inner shipping box - Warranty paper and Allen keys. I hope we'll get a hardcase and a strap some day. ;)

33mybo0.
    oss7bc.
    s2cwtu.
    2ai117r.
    29wu42b.

otjfqs.
    "The Missus - Live & Unplugged". Letting her christian the DJ4 "AC".

96hxyq.
    Realising that the DJ4 is ALREADY in tune out-of-the-box.

2. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    congrats, thats beautiful.:bassist:

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    No binding, huh. Looks great though, congrats.

4. Congrats!
    Looks great!! :bassist:

5. Nice!:bassist:

Club Bass just got one of these in and I'm dying to check it out.

6. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Looks great Congrats

7. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    Someone in TB mentioned that it's a limited run of 30 ( i didn't know prior to ordering) so you better hurry - either a DJ4 or an Adam Clayton fan is gonna gun for them.

8. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    No neck binding..much prefered
    for my liking...congrats just beatiful!

9. Mine arrived today and I'll post some pics later...

On close examination I think that the blocks are stained rosewood, much the same as the Fender Japan Aerodyne fingerboards are stained rosewood. The grain on the blocks is different to the grain on the neck and is definitely not maple. There is a really tiny, and I mean micro frame of what looks to be gold around the blocks.

10. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    ive heard they are plastic.thats a sweet bass regardless.i want one bad:bassist:

11. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    ithought they were plastic

12. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    Okay I got out the ol torchlight to see what you meant about gold. Didn't see any, but yes, there is a 0.2mm 'frame' around the blocks.

A TBer asked Lakland what the blocks were and the reply was plastic for Skylines and ebony for US made. But i know what you mean by grain on the blocks. I've got that too which made me think it was possibly painted on.

13. When you said AC I was hoping for a green one like on the cover of bassplayer(2-3 yrs ago, still on my bathroom floor..).
    Plus one on gimme binding or gimme plain, but otherwise very nice. NBD! :hyper:

14. DSCF2143.
    DSCF2144.
    DSCF2142.
    DSCF2121.
    DSCF2145.
    DSCF2146.
    DSCF2140.

15. Yowza!

16. Just wait until I've calmed down and taken the plastic off the pick guard! :help: :crying::bassist::spit::rollno::scowl::D:bag::confused::smug::eek::p:ninja:

Currently tripping on this bass!

17. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    Yooowz. Are those Chi's? Very nice. Aesthetically it fits in very nice indeed.

Have fun with your AC!

18. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    I'm surprised you even resisted playing it before posting pictures!!! :D

19. I can't believe it's painted on as there is a micro lip on mine where the one block is below the rest of the fingerboard. The grain on it is different to the maple too.

20. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    Yeah I know, it was only when someone from LOG told me otherwise that I found it was a plastic block.

Hows it sounding?