Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A learning experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metallicarules, Apr 3, 2003.

1. I just recently bought a used yorkville 200 watt 1x15" combo for $350 Canadian. When I went to test it out it seemed ok, though something in the back of my mind was telling me that it didn't sound quite right. However, I ignored that feeling because I was so eager to get an amp and went ahead and bought it. When I got it home I tested it out more extensively and now I notice how muddy it sounds and there is some distortion even at low volumes, especially on the E string. I plugged the headphones in and it sounded quite nice. I doubt it, but is this just the nature of 15" speakers? I think a 2x10 might suite my preferred tone much better, but either way, I guess I've learned to test things out much more extensively before I buy them. It's not like the amp is totally wrecked, but the bottom line is I'm just not happy with the tone, so I think I'll list it for sale and see if I can get my money back.

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    If this distortion happens a low volumes and in the low register, you might have a damgaed speaker. If you have another cab, plug the head into that and do the same test.