1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A learning experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metallicarules, Apr 3, 2003.

1. I just recently bought a used yorkville 200 watt 1x15" combo for $350 Canadian. When I went to test it out it seemed ok, though something in the back of my mind was telling me that it didn't sound quite right. However, I ignored that feeling because I was so eager to get an amp and went ahead and bought it. When I got it home I tested it out more extensively and now I notice how muddy it sounds and there is some distortion even at low volumes, especially on the E string. I plugged the headphones in and it sounded quite nice. I doubt it, but is this just the nature of 15" speakers? I think a 2x10 might suite my preferred tone much better, but either way, I guess I've learned to test things out much more extensively before I buy them. It's not like the amp is totally wrecked, but the bottom line is I'm just not happy with the tone, so I think I'll list it for sale and see if I can get my money back.

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    If this distortion happens a low volumes and in the low register, you might have a damgaed speaker. If you have another cab, plug the head into that and do the same test.