1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A legend talks about another legend's kindness

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ELG60, Feb 14, 2021.

1. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    My apologies if this has been posted previously:

Mr_Moo, 12BitSlab, JKos and 5 others like this.
  2. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Here's another story about Tommy Tedesco as told by Chuck Rainey. WARNING, Adult language!

Mr_Moo, JKos, jebmd and 2 others like this.
  3. Good stuff. I’ve read a couple of different places about Tommy doing stuff like that (first story) for other musicians. Sounded like he was a class act.

Mr_Moo, JKos and ELG60 like this.
  4. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    It’s a good reminder that being a great musician is about more than just being great with an instrument.

5. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I have been aware and in admiration of him for decades. Besides his work in Guitar Player Magazine, and hence my knowledge of his session work, he was a hoot on Fernwood Tonight which was a very funny show.

JKos and el jeffe bass like this.
  6. I never saw that show. I’ll have to try to remember to look it up. I was introduced to TT in Guitar Player also. Couldn’t believe the chicken scratching, fly speck sheet music he could apparently sight read cold. I remember Robbin Ford (I think?) saying he was on a studio date with Tommy and they gave Robbin an intricate part he wasn’t sure he could get through. I guess Tommy was sitting next to him and knew how he felt. He reached over and switched music with Robbin and gave him a simpler part.

Mr_Moo and JKos like this.
  7. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    A total class act! iirc, he's the one who advised Joe Osborn that he'd get more gigs if he learned to read music.

Here's a short vid about Fernwood and T T:

8. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I met Chuck Rainey at the 1991 NAMM Show. He could not have been kinder or more generous w/ his time. Chuck even hand wrote his home phone # on the back of his business card before giving it to me.

Not only a monster player, but a class act as well.

Mr_Moo, Joshua, Pdaddy1978 and 2 others like this.
  9. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida

2saddleslab and JKos like this.
  10. It's always a hoot to find out your heroes are decent human beings. This isn't always the case . . . . . .

I'm a huge Steve Stevens fan, the remarkable guitarist for Billy Idol all these years. SS tells the story of Idol being on the road and opening for Van Halen. Steve was out with his favorite vintage Marshalls, who despite being cared for by his tech, could be a real handful to keep going. Eddie had him try his Peavey 5150 rig and Steve was very impressed, especially when Ed told him how little care and feeding the amps required.

When they come off the road, one day there's a knock at the door, and Ed gifted him with three brand new 5150 stacks. Free. Steve never forgot this kindness, one of many similar stories from many players about Eddie.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    2saddleslab and JKos like this.
  11. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    This came up on my YouTube feed just now . . . Enjoy the absurdity which was Fernwood 2nite:

Here's another: hysterical!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Mr_Moo and el jeffe bass like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021