a lesson in bassline construction.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fenderx55, Nov 4, 2005.

1. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    so i sent the guitarist/lead singer for this new band i'm in a thing i was messing around with...this was teh conversation that ensued.

D e troi t 9: cool, yea idk what to do with that lol
    Fender X 5 5: yeah that's what i thoght
    Fender X 5 5: i like the progression though
    D e troi t 9: i mean its not really a riff, i thought it was gonna be like a bassline and ****
    Fender X 5 5: nope that's just what i do i **** around wheni'm alone
    D e troi t 9: word
    Fender X 5 5: if i'm gonna write a bassline it's gotta be with theband
    Fender X 5 5: so i can lock in with the drums and stuff
    D e troi t 9: well you can try writing basslines by urself and then songs can be worked around it, a lot of bands do that from time to time
    D e troi t 9: for example longview, or something like jenny is a friend of mine
    Fender X 5 5: yeah
    D e troi t 9: im sure those bass lines were just like "oh **** i wrote this bassline check it out"
    D e troi t 9: and then the whole song prob grew from there
    Fender X 5 5: yup

yeah i just yessed him to death to get the hell out of the conversation. Dude's a "composition major" so clearly he knows how to do my job.

after our gig the week after next i'm outa there. the drummer andi are on the same page, but the guitarist is just stupid (nice house but nobody's home) and the singer is this pompous mofo. I'm outa there.
  2. subtomic

Sep 29, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Why is stupid to try writing a song around a bassline? It didn't sound like he was suggesting you do that all the time.
  3. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    yeah i may have over reacted, he does this quite often, had u been there (or been able to imagine him saying it) you would have been offended as well. He wasn't suggesting i write a song that way, he was suggesting i change my style.
  4. Don't let the guy bring you or your spirits down, just keep fooling around and do what your doing if you're happy with it! If your band is asking you to play a different style of music than you want to or they just aren't thinking on the same level you are then you should deffinently think about leaving them and starting up with some different musicians with similar tastes and priorities as you!