1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A lesson on how to learn the Fretboard

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fergie Fulton, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    It seems to crop a lot so here is a link to the first part of a lesson in learning the fretboard.

It is a simple idea and uses what we already know..... the alphabet.
    A little basic theory is shown, a few notes named, then it shows a system that moves about the fretboard in a logical known fashion familiar to us all.....the alphabet.

Since it shows only diatonic notes it is easy to relate to, I find keeping sharps and flats out of the equation to start with makes it clearer to teach.
    Adding en-harmonic positions later using chromatics works better as the note that is to be named sharp or flat is already known.
    I hope it helps a few out in learning the fretboard rather than trying to remember it.:)

2. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    Is lesson 2 available yet? I couldn't find it. Great lesson 1 - simple and easy to remember, like a good plan!
    p.s. the scrolling statements while you are speaking/demonstrating is distracting for me ( I refocus on the sentence and miss what you say. I think its the speed of the scroll by...not it's presence.
    I'm normal - really. My mother had me tested - TWICE!

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Part 2 is shot, but will be edited and available for next week, basically in these new videos I sit down with the script ideas then talk and play for hours on end so the editing process means I get more done in the time I have to spend on such things rather than doing re-takes...so there is a wealth of 'blooper material' as well. :)

The scroll is necessary sometimes just to enforce an idea I may have not when talking, when looking back content is sometimes not as clear as you thought when you were filming....you have a 'different head' on when you watch so you can be over critical on points that may seem trivial. But noted and will try and keep them to minimal.
    In future i may use a cut-away board to explain what I may be worrying about rather than a scroll.
    Thanks for the input and I hope the third test goes well. ;)

4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    I just got back from an edit on part 2 and using a story board in screen is the way to go, so we will use them in future.:)