A letter to my ISP

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hambone, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Had an issue today with superslow download speeds on my DSL line today and had a fairly typical-for-the-times experience in poor customer service. Of course, Earthlink being the concerned company they are, later asked how they did with my problem...hmm so do they really wanna know? :mad:

They're huddling over this one now. Dollars to donuts I get a form letter response.
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The consumer is always right!
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Funny, I have an earthlink account, but my bill/service is from Time Warner.

From now on, I want to hire Hambone to write any disgruntled letters I may need to send.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Excellent thread. I appreciate you sharing your poor experience. Earthlink sells cable internet access that they have purchased from Comcast around here as part of a satellite TV package. I was thinking about switching to it. Now that I have heard this, I will stick with Comcast.

5. Hehehe good one- that will stick it up 'em!!! :bassist:

I am actually in a dispute with my ADSL provider here in Australia, TPG. I am having huge problems with pages being unable to be found- slow load times (upload signal), dead links where I know their not- unable to display pictures and consistantly being diconected. :confused:

I have done everything asked of them, tryed to be nice... Now they tell me it's a line problem. But... The service is fine sometimes, then others not- it was working fine up until a day about 2 months ago- which is around the time they upgraded their systems... From memmory!

They want me to call to get a Telstra engineer in (at least thats what I can make of the email)- in which case if there is a problem they will fix it, free- if not, well I get slogged the bill for them coming out.

I am really not happy- I am trying a few more things, upgrading to win XP finally, and trying a router as opposed to ADSL modem- if that doesnt work I am changing ISP's... I am sick of these system generated emails saying it's something I am doing wrong- when it's not.

Good luck with your ISP mate :)
  6. I use firefox and I have Earthlink. Are u saying that Firefox doesn't work on your computer? Well thank god I haven't had to use their tech support. Keep us posted. thanks.
  7. Telecom companies are, on the whole, a pain in the ass.

I remember when I was at work and the Verizon guy was upgrading our DSL to the fiberoptic package. I had my computer booted up to my Linux hard-drive... Uhoh! My mom who was with him called me at work, and I somehow got him to get the computer to boot up into Windows which he knew how to use. When I got home, There was an IE icon on my desktop. Blech. The sad part is that with the router that was there the connection was DHCP anyhow, so there was no need to configure or set up anything at all...
  8. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    Do you have DSL or cable? If you have cable chances are it already goes through comcast anyways.
  9. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    No ISP tech ever touches my computer. If I ever call support its because their hardware has broken, period. If they ask me what browser I'm running I tell them "None of your buisness". My support calls are laden with so much info about what is actually wrong that they scare the pants off the L1 and 2 techs when there's a problem. I usually get a supervisor within 2 minutes.

My ISP is actually cool with this, I've called several times about performance and timing problems and given them info that helped them lock down what was actually going on.

Why both paying an ISP to send your traffic over some other ISPs network? Just go straight to the source, which in the case of EL is almost always Comcast.
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    In our area, it's Time Warner. The only reason I use earthlink is so I can keep the same email addresses I've had for 7 years (mindspring.com). I honestly haven't had many problems that were beyond my fixing here locally, so I haven't had to deal with tech support. The only thing in recent memory was when the new transients moved in next door, their wireless network borked mine all up for a week or two until I figured what was going on and switched channels.
  11. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    When i had DSL... i had speakeasy... one of the best supports I’ve ever seen... they are expensive but so worth it if you want to be treated like a human. They are good... i recommend them... if interested i could give few examples...

12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've used Verizon DSL for the longest time before finally switching to Optimum Online. Verizon was great in the beginning, fastest service and cheapest contract due to grandfathering after one DSL company bought out the other. After about six buyouts the service started to suck and we switched to cable and haven't looked back.
  13. RB, No, Firefox works just fine. The EL tech was reading from the first line of the "Twit Tech Handbook" in the "Blame the Customer First" chapter.

This was a simple slow speed connection problem and it wasn't on my end. The night before all was well - the next morning it was like I was dialing up at 300 baud on a Princess phone. Today, all is back to normal. Of course, to Earthlink, this usually means a complete reconfiguring of every browser setting, connection protocol, and changing my underwear. It does'nt matter that these settings worked 5 hours before. That's the MO. If they can really confuse things then they can't actually be pinned down as the originating culprits.

To be fair, I have had a couple of good techs from EL before but they were here in the US and were on a landline. When we first got on DSL, we went through a couple of sets of outboard hardware because the crap EL was sending us kept taking dumps without warning. These techs quickly realized the problems and didn't make us jump through hoops for their amusement. Earthlink has even sent us used equipment that had been previously returned (ala MF with my moses neck) and called it "new". I nipped that scam in the bud and bought my own wireless LAN stuff and haven't had any problems since.

My reason for staying with EL has been a 10 year email address like you BurningSkies and their website hosting is a pretty good deal with the additional stuff I get for it. Additionally, I can't fault the security features that EL has.

I'm getting more and more fed up with substandard customer service and products. To put it simply, I don't have the disposable income to subsidize the college education of the CEO's daughter while he's stealing money from me in the form of the monthly ISP bill.
  14. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Give 'em hell Hammy. Customer service is a thing of the past, my friend.

We have two choices for broadband here in the boonies: Charter and Knology, both cable. My first isp was Charter and I soon discovered what a bunch of dolts and malcontents they are. I was paying for high speed and was getting 120-160k. My modem was offline several times a day. I soon changed over to Knology and man what a difference! I just now clocked 3.5 megs and my modem is never offline. If there's a problem they'll have someone out within an hour. I've been with them for about 3 years now. Knology rules the roost around here. :cool:
  15. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'd ditch them and go with someone else. I like Comcast, but because of the price, I chose to go with Verizon (has nothing to do with the fact that I work for VZ, seeing as we don't get a DSL discount) *lol* $45/mo vs. $30 for basically the same speed hmm...The only bad part is that VZ took about 10 days to activate my line.
  16. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I had similar problems with our Cable internet access throughout the many mergers (MediaOne, ATT, and now Comcast) where things would be fine for days, then suddenly not work. I'd call them basically just to ask "Are you experienceing any outages?" which of course would set them off on all of the "check your settings" tech support steps from the playbook. I got to the point that I was actually doing the bit from the Dilbert Cartoon
    where you sit on the couch and watch TV while telling the Support Dork that you're changing everything and rebooting "Nope, Still doesn't work, Are you SURE there is no outage in my neighborhood? Can you check with the Engineers?" They usually say they will look into it and call me back. 2 Hours later they call back and say "Can you check it out now?" to which my response is "Yes, you got the outage fixed about 1/2 hour ago, thanks for wasting that 45 minutes on the phone with me earlier."
  17. I just tell them I'm doing what they tell me when I'm not. "uhuh, I just unplugged this and rebooted my computer. Yep, your service/product is still a piece of sh*t." They come up with the stupidest solutions that never work, and blame every piece of hardware/service but theirs.
  18. I was down in St. Pete over last weekend and I saw the Knology logo and trucks for the first time. Spent awhile just figgerin' out how to pronounce it and not sound like a dork. :rolleyes: I'll check them out.