1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Level 5 Jazz Piece featuring bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bigblondeafro87, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Hey all! I dont know if this is the right forum, but during my senior year of high school (next year), my jazz band teacher would like to feature me as with a piece featuring bass guitar and the other instruments backing me. I believe she said either level 5 or level 3. Do you guys have any suggestions?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

Level?

3. I don't know what she meant by that but I think the level must represent the level of difficulty a particular piece is to put together? I'm hoping somebody who knows the system will respond :smug:

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I wonder what level we played at, Aaron.

Um...So What?
    haha honestly, I can't think of any Jazz big band tunes that Feature bass.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

:eyebrow:
    ummm.....The Chicken?

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Big Band arrangement of Birdland?

we played it in High School.

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    +1 :)

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've seen many. Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You and Tricotism are the first to spring to mind.

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    oooh yeaaa!!

10. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    One Bass Hit
    So What
    Night in Tunisia
    Chameleon

Those are some that traditionally have the bass as a prominate sound, at least in the head. Any tune could be arranged so that the bass is more important than usual.

The level comment is a little confusing. Did your band director say that? There is a system of assigning levels to band music. Basically level 1 is the stuff first year band would be playing. Most Middle School bands play level 2-3. High School band generally is 4-5 and college 6. If you know the literature, things by John Kinyon are level 1-2. The Holst Suites are 5, Lincolnshire Posey is a level 6. I'm not sure if there is much consideration to Jazz Band music and levels, but a level 5 piece would be something that most High School Bands would find to be challenging.

11. Yeah basschuck has the right idea, I think the jazz pieces must be organized like that as well. Keep in mind it doesnt have to be jazz, just featuring bass as a lead instrument.

12. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Do you need music? you could do your own arrangement of Run For Cover? always wanted to do that

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

14. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Check out some Oscar Pettiford recordings. He's a great swinging bassist and composer and he played a lot of the melodies with bands backing him. Might be what you're looking for.

Bohemia After Dark
    Tricotism (someone else mentioned)
    others...

15. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Jaco Pastorius - "Three Views of a Secret"!

16. AB53211

AB53211

Apr 15, 2004
    Milwaukee,WI
    chicken scratch maybe? I don't know what level it is or if it's easier than The Chicken, but it's very jacoish and has a solo section you could go crazy in.

Here's a link to the recording. We played it a lot faster than the recording when my high school played this song
    http://www.jwpepper.com/ram/2701960.ram

17. wow thanks guys, yeah I dont need the music, my band teaher should be able to get ahold of them. I'll definitely go through and check out all these songs and find one that'll work.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021