Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Life So Full of Choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bron-Y-AurStomp, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    Hello hello once again.
    FIrstly I'd like to thank everyone for their response with my last thread, and that it was all very helpful. A little more research, however, has spawned more questions, and I found a new thread was possibly partially neccessary. As some may know, I'm in the market for a new amp head. I think I've narrowed down my choices to the Eden WT-550, a Mesa 400+, and a vintage SVT. I was wondering what any input any of you guys may have on these amps, or perhaps other suggestions. What I'm really interested in, however, is prices used or new where applicable, as well as where I might be able to find these amps in the Chicago area. So yea, just wondering what your input might be. Oh, I was also curious as to recordings of bassists using the SVT and the 400+, besides that dude from Tool. I also heard that D'Arcy from the Pumpkins used a 400+, but I was never quite sure. SO if anyone has any answers to any of my schizophrenic and barely linked questions, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
    -Russ

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I absolutely love the powerful, smooth, buttery tone that flows from the Mesa 400+. You can't go wrong buying that head. A bit heavy, but way worth it. They usually start used for about $700 on the low end, and upwards of $1000 for newer ones.

However, I am an Eden guy. I love it. I am quite sure it is all I will own in the future. Excellent low end from my experience. Some dislike the "hi-fi" sound from them, but I think it sounds great. Prices seem to start in the $650 range, not sure though.

I have never played a vintage SVT, so it would be foolish for me to comment on them.

-Mike