Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a light bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Jun 21, 2004.

1. i need a really light bass, i have a fender american p bass and its kinda heavey, not good for playing standing up for a long time. one of the only draw back i've found with the american p bass. but does anyone know a nice really low sounding bass in the price range of 700 or 800? :confused: thanks

2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3731015500&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

thats not mine but i have the same model in a different color... very light and extremely versatile... if you think peavey sucks you arent alone, i did too before i got this bass and it is by far the best of the 30+ that ive owned (probably the lightest too)... i think it was the best new bass of the year in bass player magazine in 2000... check one out you wont regret it... also make sure its a usa model and not a bxp

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Danelectro Longhorn is one of my favourites, very lightweight and good sounding.
    Another is the BassLab STD, but that might fall out of budget.

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been having back problems and bought two lightweight basses in that price range to help ease the pain. A Fender Zone (about 7 1/2 lbs.) and an Epiphone Allen Woody (about 6 1/2 lbs.). Both are good instuments and within your budget. The Fender is more versatile, with a P/J configuration and 3 band EQ. It can get the standard P sound plus more. The Epi is great if you like an old school sound (I do), but isn't good for more modern sounds and isn't good for slapping. It has tons of low end and can get the old Gibson EB sound, but without the mud. It can also get close to a P sound with the neck pickup turned down. I usually use it with the neck pickup on 3 and the other pickup on 10 and it sounds pretty much like a Precision. I would recommend either one depending on your needs.

5. hey thanks guys i'll be sure to check those basses out

6. like suburban said, danelectros are really light. I also believe Ibanez makes some light bass, those should be under budget, but if light is your thing, definatly go with a dano.

Charlie

7. Reverend basses are semi-hollow and weigh in the neighborhood of 7 pounds. They are massive sounding and fall in the general price range you're looking for.

8. I'll second the cort.

Everyone I played was easily 7 pounds or less.

9. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
  10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    +1 on the Reverend. I've never played one, but most of the people that have them here usually comment on the deep tone and light weight.

11. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Try looking for a bass made with a Poplar or Spanish cedar body. Also a thin body thickness can really help out.

12. Try one of these: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=EDA905

Very light (don't know exactly what it weighs) and one of the most comfortable basses you can wear - sitting or standing. The EQ takes some getting used to, but it's a versatile bass and sells for about $680 in most places; about $600 for the 4 string.

It's worth a listen.

Mike

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

never played a Fender Lyte but heard good things about them. Don't know if they come in different configurations. You can probably change pups to get a tone you want but you can definetly change pups to get low end. Also, regardless of the bass, the acoustic's (and so the ultimate tone) of a given model can vary drastically so you may not want to buy a bass that you haven't played through your rig that you can't return.

Weight has always been a priority for me and I've played transplanted low-end Ibe's - about 7 1/2 lbs. I've routed them and now they're 6 - 6 1/2 lbs depending on pups. By the way, routing didn't change tone that I can tell. I've also heard several comments about the Lytes feeling more like an Ibanez than a Fender so if you don't like the feel of Ibanez, you may want to steer clear of them.

14. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    yes Cort Carbow is super light :hyper:

15. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I'll second the Zone. I bought one for the exact same reason and I absolutely dig playing it. I recommend you try one and see if it works for you.

Dan

16. My Yamaha RBX is the lightest bass I've ever picked up... not the greatest bass but *well* within your price range. Not the way to go if you're looking for something more high end, but a good lightweight backup for me.

17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You know what I find makes more of a difference than weight is the scale length. If you can get used to a 32" scale, you will find that your endurance increases greatly. I speak this as a man with a bad back.

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ibanez' are nice and light.

19. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    As others have already posted, you have described a Reverend.

www.reverenddirect.com