A Light Popping Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Feb 19, 2002.

1. I am having a bit of a problem with the Bartolini electronics on my Dingwall. It seems to make a light and rapid popping sound when I move around a lot. I tried to instigate it by jiggling the cable at the jack, but this doesn't do it. Nor does there seem to be anything inside that moves to cause this.

I took it to a local guitar tech, and he listened to it, and fooled around with it for about 20 minutes, and the best he can say is that it is a static electricity discharge that arises when I move around a lot.

This sounds possible, but I have never heard of this before. I have had the bass for a year and a half, and it only started doing this since Christmas.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar, or know of anything I might try to get rid of this sound. It is quite annoying when my best bass starts making stupid noises between songs.

2. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001

Try tightening your intonation screws as they form the path to ground from the saddle to the bridge plate (this is Dingwall specific).
  3. Cool, thanks Sheldon.

I actually noticed that the pressure on the saddles seemed to reduce the electrical noise, but I never figured this.

Thanks, as always, for the help. You are the fastest CS I have ever experienced, thanks. I can never say enough good of you and your basses.

4. A crackling or pooping sound can often be DC only a small amount of course coming out. If it was a large DC voltage you'd have no speakers left. ;)

Did this techie check for dry joints in the bass? Have you tried another bass on the amp? tried a different lead?

5. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Merlin brings up some good points.

After you tighten the intonation screws, do an A/B test with the pre-amp switched in and out using the push/pull switch on your volume.