a lil prob with cab and head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Aug 9, 2000.

1. I just went to the peavey site and found out that my 4x10 cab can only handle 250 watts and I just recently purchased a hartke 350 watt head.. anything I can do to keep the cab from getting hurt? I'm giong to get rid of it ASAP =P but until I get $$ I'm going to have to keep it in good condition.. any suggestions?

2. Don't worry about it. Your cab can handle it without any problem.

I drive a 210 TXF and a 115 BX with a Mackie 1400i (500 w a side @ 4 ohms).

3. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    Don't Panic Will,

I don't think you will have a problem using the enclosure you have. I would however, be a little cautious of an enclosure that is ten years old, since it is difficult to tell what condition the speakers might be in, or if they have been replaced. If you want a new enclosure, go for it, but if you like the one you have, there is nothing wrong with using it.
    I posted a response over on the Peavey board, but in case you didn't see it I will copy it here. Let me know if you have any more questions.

An enclosure rated at 250 watts continuous should have no problem with a 350 watt bass head. Program material rarely equals the full power rating of an amplifier. You would have to constantly play at full power, non stop, in the bass's lowest register to do any power related damage to your cabinet. Even then, it is unlikely.
    A continuous rating is measured by subjecting the speaker to a continuous sine wave tone for eight hours or more. I doubt that you will ever achieve this level of abuse playing an instrument through it.

4. Thanks for the hope rcrimm, but when I turn it up to about 5, and I hit notes on the E string it cracks up a lil =P I'm going to sell it to my friend(hopefully) that has a 60 watt amp.. I"m sure he'll take it and sell it when he gets enough $$ for good equip.. and if he doesn't take it.. I'll put an add in the local music paper (The island ear http://www.islandear.com). Well I'm off to go play around =) Later!