Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A lil Slap Bass please?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassist_punk, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you could tell me, or has a site that I can go to that can tell me how to play slap bass. Whenever I watch Tiger Army play, I notice that their bassist plays some slap bass, and I've always been very interested in how to do so... so if you could help, feel free to lend a hand. Thanks.:D

2. Unfortunatly i dont know of any sites but I'll try my best to tell u how.. Step1. Make a thumbs up like the icon and turn ur thumb parralel with the E string. Using ur Wrist hit the string with ur thumb. Congrats... I could get started on poping but ohh well..edit: language - watch your vocabulary GOOD LUCK!

3. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    For me, actually watching someone play slap bass was more helpful in learning than reading about it on a website. One of my friends gave me a Louis Johnson instructional type video - that's how I got my start and just took it from there on my own.

4. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
  5. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    bassist_punk

Grygore's advice was right on. In lieu of a real live performance, watching the recommended vidieo is a good idea. Louis is not very instructional on the tape but his playing is superb! And you can see it clearly.

I have all my students who really want to play get this video and copy it ALL!

6. amac

amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
  7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
  8. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    The guy in tiger army plays an upright bass, so this would probabl get a better response in the double bass forum. Other than that i don;t have much to tell you, other than, 95% of what he plays is considered rocakbilly slap to most, and he is fairly good at it.
    Good Luck and Keep Bassin'