1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A little advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarchMan, Sep 16, 2004.

1. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    So, after days of being pissed of with a purchase of a new laptop that, apparently due to security updates at my local university, will cost me another $120 to go wireless (as well as realizing it's not going to be used as much as I thought) I decided to bring it back. Now, I decided that my best choice here is to buy a backup bass guitar, something I've been needing for a while with gigs coming up soon. I currently have a Warwick Streamer LX 4 and I run it into an Eden WT800 and D-410XLT. I need something around the $1000 range and that will not compromise too much on sound for that price. I guess you could say a "workhorse". However, I'm limited to used options here. So I've come down to a few choices. Here we go:

Fender Geddy Lee Sig. jazz bass (if I can get one)
    Lakland Skyline 44-01 (or 02) or 55-01 (or 02)
    G&L Tribute L-2500 Premium

Whatcha think? Those are all I can think of right now. I hear the Geddy is a great bang for the buck though. By the way, I play in a rock band that is progressive at times. Variety of elements and genres mixed in the music. I need something that will complement my Warwick well enough. Something that is slightly different, but a good backup.

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

I would HIGHLY recommend the 55-02! Unbelievable bass for the $$ and great playability. IMHO, it has more tonal variation than the others, so would be a better all-round gigging bass.

Dan K.

3. geddy lee!!!!

4. I think the first thing you need to do is figure out if you want a 4 or a 5 string.

I think the lakland 55-02 and 44-02 are great basses, you can find a used USA made G&L L2000 or L2500 in your price range also. the Geddy lee is a real nice bass also, but if you decide to go with a 5er that puts it out of the picture.

5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004

+1

Look very heavily at the used market. For $1000 you could get something really great. Keep your eyes open. Everyone here seems to love the Geddy, and there is alot of knowledge on this board. So I would say that would be a great choice. If I were you , I would look for a used G&L. I'm a little biased, but you can get so many sounds from them, it's hard to beat for the price.