Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A little advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarchMan, Sep 16, 2004.

1. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    So, after days of being pissed of with a purchase of a new laptop that, apparently due to security updates at my local university, will cost me another $120 to go wireless (as well as realizing it's not going to be used as much as I thought) I decided to bring it back. Now, I decided that my best choice here is to buy a backup bass guitar, something I've been needing for a while with gigs coming up soon. I currently have a Warwick Streamer LX 4 and I run it into an Eden WT800 and D-410XLT. I need something around the $1000 range and that will not compromise too much on sound for that price. I guess you could say a "workhorse". However, I'm limited to used options here. So I've come down to a few choices. Here we go:

Fender Geddy Lee Sig. jazz bass (if I can get one)
    Lakland Skyline 44-01 (or 02) or 55-01 (or 02)
    G&L Tribute L-2500 Premium

Whatcha think? Those are all I can think of right now. I hear the Geddy is a great bang for the buck though. By the way, I play in a rock band that is progressive at times. Variety of elements and genres mixed in the music. I need something that will complement my Warwick well enough. Something that is slightly different, but a good backup.

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I would HIGHLY recommend the 55-02! Unbelievable bass for the $$ and great playability. IMHO, it has more tonal variation than the others, so would be a better all-round gigging bass.

Dan K.

3. geddy lee!!!!

4. I think the first thing you need to do is figure out if you want a 4 or a 5 string.

I think the lakland 55-02 and 44-02 are great basses, you can find a used USA made G&L L2000 or L2500 in your price range also. the Geddy lee is a real nice bass also, but if you decide to go with a 5er that puts it out of the picture.

5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004

+1

Look very heavily at the used market. For $1000 you could get something really great. Keep your eyes open. Everyone here seems to love the Geddy, and there is alot of knowledge on this board. So I would say that would be a great choice. If I were you , I would look for a used G&L. I'm a little biased, but you can get so many sounds from them, it's hard to beat for the price.