1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A little confused about amps/speakers.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RiseOfTheWooten, Apr 14, 2006.

1. A shop here is offering a Warwick ProFet5.1 500watt amp as part of two deals:

Deal 1 - The ProFet5.1 with a Warwick 411Pro which is a 600watt 4x10 + horn cab.

Deal 2 - The ProFet5.1 with a Warwick 611Pro which is 6x10 + horn cab.

As far as I'm aware, the 2nd deal will give you a better tone and sound, but the overall volume is dictated by the wattage of your amp right?

How does a larger cab give you more volume if your amp wattage remains the same?

2. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    It moves more air, and that's about as detailed as my knowledge gets.

3. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Well 6 speakers moving together are going to move more air than 4 speakers, so it sounds louder.

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You've got it wrong. The tone and sound are subjective - some people prefer, for example, the SWR Goliath Sr. (6x10) to the Goliath (4x10) - but the volume is objective. Everything else being equal, if you add speakers, you will sound louder.

5. So hypothetically speaking - a 200watt amp with 6x10 could potentially produce the same volume as a 400watt amp with a 4x10?

6. I was under the impression that the horn and the extra speakers can help produce better tone than just a 4x10 with no horn.

Rephrase - I was under the impression that having more speakers with a horn gives more tonal options.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes. Assuming we are comparing apples to apples, that is reasonable.

There are so many variables that really you have to try it. Bass amp wattages are useless except as a rough guide. And speakers can have varying sensitivity.

In your example, since both cabs are from the same manufacturer, there is a better than average chance the 6x10 will be louder than the 4x10.

8. Damn I'm going to have to rethink what I thought I knew about amps and speakers.

Does this mean that the speaker setup in Deal 2 has the potential to withstand more from the amp than the speaker setup in Deal 1 (ie. less potential for the speakers to blow up in Deal 2) if I turned up the amp volume?

Hope my questions are making sense.

9. hey mate i'm in melbourne, and have a Pro Fet 5.1, and the WCA410, which is lower watt, hornless version of the 411.

The 611 is a large cab, hard to put in ya car, and runs at 6ohms, so won't wring the full 500 watts outta ya amp that running 2 410s will.

PM me, I may be able to put u onto someone who'll hook u up with a Pro Fet 5.1 and two 410's for less than the Pro Fet and 6x10.

10. pm sent