Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A little CV / CL help, yo.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Toasted, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Im applying for a Bar Job (the bridge on bridge street).

My CV is fine, but im not sure what to put in my covering letter.

Ive written a bit about how i know they've got high standards and i can do that.

Ive written that i have previous bar work experience, and ive worked with a temp agency and completeld their bar work training course.

Ive said ive worked on bars from football grounds to silver service at hotels.

Ive finished with this:

"I would relish an opportunity to work at The Bridge, and I believe that I could become a worthwhile and valuable member of your staff.

Regards Toasted. "

What else should i write? I have a feeling that ive missed something really important.

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I worked in a number of pubs when I was a student, but I honestly don't remember ever applying for a job in one.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    But i need cash to fund GAS :p Ive almost stopped drinking, so I may aswell earn some money from other people drinking...

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    There is an important misconception there.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Care to explain? :)

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What do you want go get?, oh i will take a Double Glenmorrangie neat please. :)

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I used to be absolutely hammered by the time I left work. I don't think I ever "earned" any "money"... Maybe you're stronger than me :)

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Aaaah, i understand now :)

MM -

I need to sort out my effects which will need about £1000, and I need to sort out my amplification for which i will probably need another £1000.

If you're really interested in my final aim, then ill PM you the signal chain Im thinking about.

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You are approaching the matter wrong way.

Have you met and talked to the manager? CV is a formality, talking to the guy face to face is what gives the right or wrong impression.

If not, start by calling the person doing the hiring. Tell him that you'd love to work at his place and that you have experience, and ask if you could meet him personally to talk about it.

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thanks Tsal, thats certainly valuable advice.

11. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Hey,

I am not sure what the course taught you. When I took that course we also learned about how to handle drunk people and how to get them out of the bar in a safe manner.

If you were taught these things, mention it.

Just don't put Visine in a drunk's drink, ok?