1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A little help from those who know

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lord Henry, Apr 28, 2006.

1. I love an attacking sound, and I tend to like thicker necks, so I'm thinking a Warwick might be the way to go. I fully understand the 'play before you buy' principle, but no store, no matter how nice, is going to let me jam for three or four hours (the length of an average band practice).

So, I'm thinking about the wait. On the plus side I'm pretty young (25), on the down side I'm build rather like Matt Bellamy (singer and guitarist of Muse), a slim build. Is a Warwick just going to break me in half or are some of the stories I've heard just over the top?

Cheers

2. The bubinga ones are generally heavy.

Wood varies though, I've played some bubinga corvettes that weight as much as maple/ash stuff. Some that almost made MY back hurt, and I consider myself to be pretty stout.

You can still get great attack from a Corvette Jazzman or Double Buck, and they are made out of swamp ash, not nearly as heavy as the bubinga ones.

3. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    im a smaller guy (5'6-160pounds, well a little over weight) and the weight thing has never been an issue. if im really jammin and groovin i tend to not notice the weight. as for wicks, im gonna go pick up my bo thumb 4 today,and it's a little heavy but not enough for me to forget about that sweet tone. i love the chunky neck even though i have smaller hands. i say go for the wick.

4. I'm liking what I've heard so far. Just to highlight my point I'm 5'10 and 130 pounds. I really am of a very small build. This is a big thing for me: Sound wise a wick is exactly what I want. But I'm looking at dropping £700 on a bass and that will be it for me for at least a year. I just don't want to get this great sound and then find that half an hour into a jam I need a sit down and some time off.

Come on guys, talk me into it.

Cheers

5. My bolt on Fortress is under 9 lbs. The neck is great, its kind of a jazz bass width with a lot more booty and roundness on the back side.

6. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Another thing to consider if you are small (and pressumably have accordingly sized arms) is that some Warwick models tend to have poor balance, in part because the upper horn is shorter than say, a Fender. The tip of the upper horn ends at the 14th fret or so, versus the 12th fret on a Fender. Conklin, for exmaple, have their upper horn go all the way to the 10th fret, making for a super balanced and comfortable bass, regardless of weight.

If you have a shrter upper horn and 24 frets, the first position (fretting from the 1st to the 3rd frets) seems really far away, and will make you extend your arm farther, causing fatigue when playing standing up for long periods of time.

This is more aparent with 4-string bass - with 5-strings, you can shift your positions and lessen this problem.

And this is not a problem with Warwicks only, but with many basses that have a shorter upper horn. It's even true in a short-scale Hofner, because the strap button is at the 15th fret, so the neck sits away from you.

At least try to strap one on for a little and see how it feels. Spectors also have a comparable design. If you find a Spector to try and like it, you most likely will like a Warwick.

7. Lefty007 makes a good point, I should have mentioned this before. Despite weighing less than a pair of shoes I actually have ape-like long arms. Also, there is something about how I wear a bass that means that it hangs too far to the right of my body, so the short horn of the wick is something that appeals to me.

You guys are really helping me here, keep it coming.

Cheers

8. Oh, and it's a 5er that I'm looking for, incase that makes any difference.

Cheers

9. I played a Conklin with the upper horn being crazy up high on the fingerboard. For some reason the natural way for me to where it had me positioning it way to the right! I played mainly above the neck pickup. I never thought it happened to anyone else with basses...

...anyway, Thumbs played up high near my chest fit me perfect. Amazingly so. I can play the full range of the bass now very comfortably. Up past the neck pickup, in the middle, behind the bridge pickup, its all good now.

Since you have the same problem I do, maybe a thumb will fit you like a glove too.